Amanda and Spindrift

Chris V

Why do builders seemingly pick the Spindrift over the Amanda dinghy so often? I have an affinity for the Amanda but I'm hedging about which I might like to build someday. Spindrift comes in various lengths including nesting versions so that would seem to explain some of the numbers. Anyway, it's mostly a thought exercise right now but I'm curious to know your thoughts. I've been visiting the B&B site for quite some time now and reading posts here and watching all of Alan and Graham's building and sailing videos (some of them more than once.) "Long time listener, first time caller" - thanks for chiming in!

- Chris V

Good question. I helped my neighbor girl (9th grade) choose her build.  10 feet was the length she wanted and nesting wasn’t needed… which made the Spindrift 10 kit what she chose.  I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet but will try to do so soon (your question kinda motivated me to make the request with her.)

The rigging of the Amanda could be an element of the choosing in that (I think) the sail can be raised and lowered from inside the boat.  
8765E32C-8269-4E9A-B819-4B8886E4D23B.thumb.jpeg.9bf3e8d0f984d7c516a659109aba656c.jpeg

The Spindrift’s plan has a zip-onto-the-mast sail which some have tried various approaches to raising and lowering.  With The Weezer’s S10 we’ve just raised the sail completely before getting in (it’s only been used a few times… she’s a really busy kid.)

675CEAE1-12DA-4063-9E33-9FF500956ADF.thumb.png.90fbce69e2b0714587029251c67b9d54.png

For the heck, take a look at the Core Sound 15. I like its size with a capacity for 4-5 adults, and some little kids, and it is light enough for me to easily push around my yard on the trailer.  I really enjoyed building it with the FULL kit (I launched the hull in three months… but needed to wait a while for the sails due to the shutdown).  Sailing it alone and with my family and friends has been great fun.  
9912EA67-2C1B-43E0-A245-52647DB599F3.thumb.jpeg.e7dbbee777a03d1803c48e5779bc97ad.jpeg

I chose the Amanda after rowing her at a Messabout years ago, and I'm currently about 1/2 through the build as a winter FL project over the past 3-4 years.  I saw the Amanda as more of a utility boat with good sailing & rowing, and thought her to be a bit more stable for 2-3 as I'm a poor sailor, ok rower, but enjoy the quiet travel.  Also think I'll like the simple lug rig with maybe a boomless sail.  Both may be available at Messabout.  Had a CS15 too but too much rig for lazy me.  Have an Acorn Skiff in NC with a gunter rig but haven't had her in the water yet.  Just thoughts, Rick 

The Amanda's lug rig has a shorter mast - roughly the length of the boat, I think.  That could make a difference if you have storage constraints.

For the kind of sailing I like to do, the ability to raise and lower the sail allows me to take a break from sailing without enduring a flogging sail or going ashore. 

In the Spindrift's favor, you can't beat the zip sleeve for simplicity.

That's about all I can think of in terms of technical differences.  There are minor differences in performance that won't matter unless you are racing.  Aesthetically, I think lug sails are just way cooler, but that's me.

Choosing the design is a fun part of the build process.  Ultimately, I think the purpose of the boat is to give you grins. If your eye just keeps coming back to one or the other design, you might want to pay attention to that. There's no wrong choice. (Except maybe a PWC - that'd be wrong.) Enjoy!

Bob

2 hours ago, meester said:

There's no wrong choice. (Except maybe a PWC - that'd be wrong.)

Agree

If you don't know Michael Leunig's poem "Ode to a Jet Ski Person" here's a link 

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelLeunigAppreciationPage/posts/ode-to-a-jet-ski-person-jet-ski-person-selfish-finkmay-your-silly-jet-ski-sinkma/206136656239228/

Cheers

Peter HK

• Haha 2

A lot depends on how you plan to use the boat— all sailing,  or as a yacht tender, or mostly rowing, etc.

I’d like to bring the differences in hull shape into the conversation. I don’t have the plans for either, so much of this is based on the little amount of sailing I’ve done in both, and a lot of conjecture.  I think the differences between the Amanda and Spindrift’s hull shapes are similar to the difference between the Bay River Skiff and Core Sound hulls.  I own a Bay River Skiff 15.  I chose it over the Core Sound because I liked the lines better, and had only planned to sail on flat water.  I discovered the lower deadrise (angle of the “V” amidships) made for a very solid initial stability.  I believe the same holds true with the Amanda as compared to the Spindrift.  I have been surprised at how tender the Spindrift is upon entry.  (This disappears, once under way.)  I believe the Spindrift has a faster hull, however.  I also think the Amanda is “fuller” in the stern, which makes it more amenable for outboard motor usage.  Just watch Alan roar around another boat in this video taken at capsize camp.  (Zoom up to the 4 minute mark.). That’s the Amanda under power! 

I know that I am touching Superman’s cape here*.  I expect a lot of rebuttal from Spindrift owners.  That’s OK.  That’s what this forum is all about.

I need to add that there is a fairly good chance that I might build either boat in the future!  The nesting S9 would be a fine replacement for my Two Paw 8, which goes into the bed of the pickup truck when trailer camping.  But the Amanda would be a finer replacement for my BRS15, in a few years, when I start to struggle setting the masts in place.

They are both fine boats.  If you can make it to the Messabout, B&B has both available for in-water evaluations.  That will help your decision immensely.

* I always reserve the right to be wrong.

I get the impression the Amanda was designed for its simplicity in building, specifically for the build your own exhibit at the WoodenBoat Show at Mystic Seaport. The participants can build the basic shell in the 3 days of the show, and finish it off at home.

Unlike the Spindrift, there is no torturing plywood to shape. The folding process of the Spindrift can be tedious and difficult for first time builders. The down side to the Amanda is the bow entry.  A Spindrift will handle sloppy waves better, will pound less as it can cut through waves better than the Amanda. Even with the same rig, I would think the Spindrift would sail faster, especially to weather. I would think the Amanda gets up on a plane under power quicker and easier, but will pound more in waves.

All around, I think the Spindrift is a better boat, but that opinion is some what subjective.

I think I've too read that Amanda may have a little more (initial?) stability (@Don Silsbe) which appeals because I'd like to take the wife sailing and I think that might appeal, even if I ultimately do most of my sailing solo.

@PadrePoint - I have enthusiastically read your build threads about the Sprindrift and the CS15. I'd love something the size of the CS15, it seems like a good compromise of speed, of a size to single hand, but still able to carry a few friends. It seems a lot of people build the 17 but I don't imagine I'll have the space for that. So maybe the CS15 someday!

@Hirilonde I think I've heard that before. I guess folks just like to jump into the hard stuff first. I'm looking for something a little easier to get started, one of the reasons I lean toward Amanda. That and I do like the shorter spars in this case and probably some nostalgia for the lug rig.

So many great choices out there! Part of my really wants to get back to sailing, part of me really wants to build. It's fun imagining the possibilities in the meantime.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

I get the impression the Amanda was designed for its simplicity in building, specifically for the build your own exhibit at the WoodenBoat Show at Mystic Seaport. The participants can build the basic shell in the 3 days of the show, and finish it off at home.

Unlike the Spindrift, there is no torturing plywood to shape. The folding process of the Spindrift can be tedious and difficult for first time builders. The down side to the Amanda is the bow entry.  A Spindrift will handle sloppy waves better, will pound less as it can cut through waves better than the Amanda. Even with the same rig, I would think the Spindrift would sail faster, especially to weather. I would think the Amanda gets up on a plane under power quicker and easier, but will pound more in waves.

All around, I think the Spindrift is a better boat, but that opinion is some what subjective.

I believe the Amanda pre-dates the Spindrift.  I do know that it was modified/improved for the builds at Mystic. But I think you’re wrong on that one.

You are spot-on, regarding performance.  My BRS15 doesn’t handle a chop as well as a CS15, either.  But for 95% of my sailing conditions, this is not a factor.

”Better boat” depends upon the way the boat will be used.  In flat water, I’ll take the Amanda any day.  But the Spindrift will be quicker overall.