Jack stands for a core sound 17..

Ron Ellard

I'd go back to the cradle plans in the kit.  I.e., a plywood cross sectional at roughly the forward bulkhead and another 3 or 4 feet forward of the transom, and one at mid-boat, if memory serves.  Put those on a rolling frame.  put a couple of cross timbers blocked up to the keel underneath if those don't seem sturdy enough, but I bet they will.  I crawled all over my 17 (mk I) on that setup.

On 9/16/2022 at 10:24 PM, Paul356 said:

Yup.  Mine was very similar.  I also doubt you could get actual jackstands low enough to fit under the 20 with the keel on the ground.

He wouldn't need to. With some finagelling and jockeying around, he could use the jack stands to lift the boat off the trailer and keep it there. Then do the reverse and slide the trailer back under the boat. 4 Jack stands, with padding on the plates, placed at bulkheads where they meet the chines, in 2 pairs, would be where I would put them in the end for storage. Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I could move the earth.

I’ve been thinking about your question.  You got a lot of good responses.  But let me throw in my two cents-worth.

First “cent”:  I came across this video that might be helpful, at least for how to raise and lower the boat while it’s on the trailer.  

Second “cent”:  Sailboats’ hulls are angled on the bottom.  They are also smooth and slippery.  I have concerns about using jack stands, especially if you’re talking about automotive jack stands.  Since the jack stands are vertical, the bottom will hit them at an angle. The top of the jack stand could easily slip outboard.  That’s why boat jack stands have a wider stance.  
6822EB5A-DA3A-4AA9-B9D6-2E9C957A9BF8.thumb.png.1d6155016dc97243a297b4a95775f6a7.png

And that’s also why the cradle idea is a better solution.  The cradle kisses off to the shape of the bottom, and will not slip like a jack stand.  

No, I would never consider using jack stands, except for directly under the keel.

I've pulled Skeena (CS20.3) off her trailer twice now. I used a hill on my yard and dragged the boat backwards on the trailer until there was no tongue weight. I then undid the hitch after blocking the wheels. I lowered the stern to the ground onto a moving blanket laid under the trailer. Using only gravity I dragged  the boat into the soft grass. I then put up the mizzen up and with moving blankets protecting the hull pulled her over on her side with the mizzen halyard and a bit of lifting by my two adult boys. I think you could do this about anywhere. These boats aren't that heavy.  If I had to do it in my garage I'd put the stern on a furniture dolly and roll it off. 

• Like 2

Randy, i guess you kind of need to do the mental math:  What's the (a) effort of climbing in and out of the trailered boat vs the (b) effort of unloading and reloading the boat on trailer plus bending over a lot vs. the (c) effort of making a rolling cradle [if you don't have one already] but saving the effort of bending over.  I think the key variable is how much work you must do inside the boat, and what kind.  If it's a lot, I'd go for putting the boat on a cradle.

• Like 1