Handheld VHF (ultra cheap)

Jknight611

Hi all, this last weekend I had a opportunity to compare my Icom marine VHF radio with a Baofeng UV5R programmable handheld radio.  I was absolutely blown away with their performance/price ratio!  They are currently $22 apiece on Amazon!  The cheap Baofeng radio is smaller, and works as well as the Icom.  We called a bridgetender from 6-7 nm away and it worked great!  Water resistant?  Ziploc had a app for that! 

I have had the Baofeng radio (bought 2 ) for several months for another project but the programming is a PIA trying to type all the frequencies into it so I put it away with the thought I would get back to that project later.  Well last week my rainy day project was to mess with the little radios.  I bought a programming cord in addition to the Baofeng supplied (Baofeng cord doesn’t work).  I downloaded a ham popular program called Chirp  and loaded marine VHF, FRS, GMRS, plus several weather specific frequencies,  this is a heck of a lot of performance from a $22 radio!  Now…… whether the FCC is concerned……

I will have the cord and I can load  frequencies and configure the cheap Baofeng radios at the Messabout this year if anyone is interested from the Raspberry Pi  on Kalos. 

That’s the one,  we called a bridgetender and his “response” indicated that he heard us.  If you want public humiliation ask a bridgetender in south Louisiana if you radio transmissions are acceptable! 

It does seem to be at least equal to our Icom M72, for about $200 less!  Plus has access to many other useful frequencies. 

• Thanks 1

Their is a guy who gives you tube lessions on the uv-5r use and programming the channel is not a rubicon production this might come in handy for some who already has or intends to buy a uv-5r radio, I have been looking off and on for a radio for some and this just might fit the bill since I am not tech savvy the videos will help 👍

Mark, check into CHIRP, a free program with popular frequencies already programmed in.  Maddening the cable that came with the radio wouldn’t work, I bought a cable for a few dollars from Amazon and it works like a champ.  I very briefly tried to manually enter frequencies, nope…..way way too fiddly.  So my total investment is about $30 bucks for a marine vhf radio, plus FRS and GMRS (basically walkie-talkie frequencies but with a bit more power.  The walkie-talkie frequencies will be useful when someone is using the kayaks or dingy. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, the Baofeng 5R series radio transmits on marine VHF frequencies  just as any marine VHF. It is capable of transmitting on VHF 136-174 MHz which includes the marine vhf frequencies which ranges from 156-161 MHz with 4 or 1 watts transmit power.  

In addition it can transmit and receive UHF frequencies ranging from 400 to 520 MHz which FRS operates from 462.5625 to 467.7125 MHz.  GMRS frequencies range from 462.5625 - 467.7250, be mindful that access to GMRS does require a license.  It can also receive only frequencies 65-108 MHz which is the range of FM commercial radio. 

Only reason I posted this is was because I figured out how to program the little sucker, inexpensive,  works well, and license or no, it is a excellent safety feature to be able to communicate with other marine interests.  

YMMV

On 9/16/2022 at 7:54 PM, meester said:

@Mark Rendelman

If I remember right, broadcasting on marine band frequencies is OK from the water, but not from land. (Except for the exceptions)  Could that be the "illegal" issue?

Bob

I just bought a standard VHF radio and so I went through the manual and watched a podcast, and you are certainly right, Bob, broadcasting from land is illegal. 

Just a word of caution from someone who has actually used their VHF in a somewhat urgent situation--in some sailing situations you should have a radio that not only is waterproof but floats.