Stitching Curlew Fantail

Douglas Jacobs

Currently my friend Steve and I are stitching the 6 oz. polyester fabric on my Curlew frame.  (Since he is a dental surgeon, he sews and I attach hemostats as needed).  We've split the fabric on the bow and stapled it to the keel per the Shad videos.  Should we use the same process to sew the fabric around the fantail?  I've (hopefully) attached a picture.  Thanks for any suggestions.   

Curlew fantail with clamp.heic

Help!  Every way we try to sew the Curlew fantail, we seem to be left with extra fabric.  We don't lack for patience, but we seem to have run out of ideas.  🤔 We have the 6 oz fabric with little stretch.  When we sew towards the tail, we can't seem to stretch the fabric enough to keep it tight.  We've also tried sewing back from the end to tighten the fabric but then we had a wrinkle at the end of the fantail. Thanks for any guidance as to what we are doing wrong.  

image.jpeg.6eac0b1455dec182880d738c73e9aaa2.jpegimage.jpeg.54fa51129bb325d6fb18a12fd81252ab.jpegimage.jpeg.e74f48b69df1f31053f86d64f0f0a0fc.jpeg

Jacobs:

If I was to guess, the horizontal wrinkle in your middle photo suggests that you're asking too much of the textile in wrapping it around and under the edge of the gunwale. You might have to either 1) live with the wrinkle (you may be able to tuck it under the edge of the gunwale where it will be less noticeable)* or 2) fold the wrinkle and stitch it up, or 3) slit along the wrinkle and sew it up, or 4) staple it under the gunwale. Since I'm not there to tug and pinch, please take my comments with several grains of salt.

Fair winds, Andy

*after it's painted, probably no one but you and Steve would ever notice

58 minutes ago, andy00 said:

Jacobs:

If I was to guess, the horizontal wrinkle in your middle photo suggests that you're asking too much of the textile in wrapping it around and under the edge of the gunwale. You might have to either 1) live with the wrinkle (you may be able to tuck it under the edge of the gunwale where it will be less noticeable)* or 2) fold the wrinkle and stitch it up, or 3) slit along the wrinkle and sew it up, or 4) staple it under the gunwale. Since I'm not there to tug and pinch, please take my comments with several grains of salt.

Fair winds, Andy

That's some good advice.  I didn't have a fantail to contend with, but was concerned about numerous wrinkles and bunching.  Shrinking the fabric solved much of it (I was using Nylon).  Your last point is very true.  Every project has flaws.  Usually only the builder can see them. Once you get on the water all will be forgotten. 

1 hour ago, andy00 said:

Jacobs:

Fair winds, Andy

Thanks for the good suggestions.  

Did not think about it till seeing you photo, but last ones I did were with the old fabric which had a loose weave and was easy to more around to conform.

I don't have any good suggestions without seeing it person. I do remember the first one I built I ended up putting a seam horizontally along the fantail. I will think on this but not sure I have a good idea.  New fabric may not be a good choice for this boat.