New Mandy owner

naf

I hesitate to reply to this, because I don’t have an Amanda or Spindrift.  But the halyard should be lowered first, then the leech of the sail tightened up to the reef point.   The downhaul should then be transferred to the grommet in the luff of the sail associated with the reef points.  Then, the halyard is drawn up to put the boom in the “normal” position, more or less. Finish by tightening the new downhaul.  You may then gather up the excess foot of the sail with the nettles.

Again, this is a general answer, and not Amanda-specific.  I do reserve the right to be wrong!  But I’ve been waiting for someone qualified to answer your question, to no avail.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 5:46 PM, naf said:

Actual sailing question: when reefing the sail on something setup like the Amanda, am I supposed to leave the halyard in the same place as normal and tighten the reefing line so that it lifts the boom upward, or am I supposed to lower the halyard down and leave the boom about where it would be normally?

I tried the latter, and without the storer loop holding the yard tight against the mast the shape of the sail becomes pretty terrible, so assume it was supposed to be the former?

With the single line reefing system on the Amanda's balanced lug rig you can do both at once. Uncleat the halyard and slack it down as you haul in the reef line. The boom should remain at the same height or it might drop a bit in the process but then come back up when tension in the luff returns. It's complicated by the fact that the downhaul is holding the boom down so it shouldn't be able to just go up when you pull in the reef line. The downhaul holds the gooseneck down normally and the halyard tension pulls against it. On the Amanda we simplified the rig so the downhaul isn't adjustable it's just a static line and tension in the luff is just by pulling on the halyard. But it's quite hard to get enough tension so we added a 2:1 purchase to the Amanda's halyard to make tensioning the luff easier and this system works whether reefed or not. The storer setup works well to hold the yard against the mast while still allow it to lay flat when lowered so perhaps it can be integrated with a 2:1 as well to make getting enough tension easier. OR you can add an adjustable downhaul to tension the luff after hoisting as i suspect other lug rigs have.  Here is the 2:1 halyard we tried on our Amanda at the shop.

As usual there are umpteen hundred different ways to rig any boat rig and simplicity is directly proportional to the amount of head scratching that went into it. 

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Don Silsbe said:

I’ll bet that leading the halyard aft helps a lot.

Yes, I especially like being able to drop the sail to glide back to the dock without having to stand up or move forward.

It makes my old method (carried over from my previous oar-less dinghy) of docking with sails up and doing a last second turn into the wind right next to the dock to kill speed and then rush to get the sail down look very foolhardy (albeit glorious on the small number of occasions I pulled it off smoothly).