Retrofitting closed stern option

Ron Ellard

6 hours ago, Ron Ellard said:

Can you retrofit the  closed stern option on an existing CS 17 to a open stern with just a bench..

Sure

How easy depends on your experience in boat building. If you had built a CS17 you wouldn't be asking the question- with plywood /timber/epoxy and glass you can easily do that modification. Just cut out what you don't want, epoxy and glass in what you do and paint over.

If you have no experience with epoxy/timber boat building it will likely be a bit more challenging but by no means impossible. I remember the first time I attempted something like this- it was to cut out rotten ply seats/buoyancy chambers in an 8ft dinghy (polyester hull) and make new ones. The first few attempts to fit the ply and epoxy them in were agricultural to say the least but with enough filling and sanding it worked out Ok. By the time I'd finished even this little job my skill level had dramatically improved. After I painted it I got compliments on the "very nice" dinghy.

HTH

Cheers

Peter HK

6 hours ago, Peter HK said:

Sure

How easy depends on your experience in boat building. If you had built a CS17 you wouldn't be asking the question- with plywood /timber/epoxy and glass you can easily do that modification. Just cut out what you don't want, epoxy and glass in what you do and paint over.

If you have no experience with epoxy/timber boat building it will likely be a bit more challenging but by no means impossible. I remember the first time I attempted something like this- it was to cut out rotten ply seats/buoyancy chambers in an 8ft dinghy (polyester hull) and make new ones. The first few attempts to fit the ply and epoxy them in were agricultural to say the least but with enough filling and sanding it worked out Ok. By the time I'd finished even this little job my skill level had dramatically improved. After I painted it I got compliments on the "very nice" dinghy.

HTH

Cheers

Peter HK

I hear you Peter, im no professional but i have worked with epoxy, fiberglass and wood before. I built two CLC kayaks and finished a partially completed passagemaker dinghy as well. 

I went the route of a wood boat instead of a composite so I could make adjustments or repairs if needed. I guess my question is more structurally. I dont want to compromise the transom or stern when I cut out the section and add a bench.

Thanks

Ron

Im looking forward to the winter project

10 hours ago, Gira Gira said:

F0068EE1-EA8F-4142-908E-BC915F24979B.thumb.jpeg.1f8dacaadd94fcb55a135cf096277e6d.jpegThis is what I did

Beautiful job!

Yes you can modify the stern without hurting the boat structurally as long as you tie the critical parts into the boat properly.

The aft bulkhead can be cut down to seat top height. You can cut out the middle of the lower part of the bulkhead but no more than Gira Gira did. The side stringers should go almost to the transom but you may have to add to them to support the new aft cockpit seat. You will need a support cleat across the transom to connect the seat to the transom.

Because the aft seat area is too large for 6mmply you will have to add some support.  This will depend on the hatch that you choose.

I will stop here because the weather is looking really good for the long weekend and I have to get my boat ready. If you decide to go through with the project I will b happy to continue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Designer said:

Yes you can modify the stern without hurting the boat structurally as long as you tie the critical parts into the boat properly.

The aft bulkhead can be cut down to seat top height. You can cut out the middle of the lower part of the bulkhead but no more than Gira Gira did. The side stringers should go almost to the transom but you may have to add to them to support the new aft cockpit seat. You will need a support cleat across the transom to connect the seat to the transom.

Because the aft seat area is too large for 6mmply you will have to add some support.  This will depend on the hatch that you choose.

I will stop here because the weather is looking really good for the long weekend and I have to get my boat ready. If you decide to go through with the project I will b happy to continue.

When i do I will follow up with you. Thanks

Ron

10 hours ago, Don Silsbe said:

@Gira Gira— I sure would like more detail on that boomkin.  Such as, how does it withstand the forward loading, when sailing downwind?

It was originally was just a dyneema rope yoke to get the mizzen sheet up above the motor. However it  kept fouling on the motor. So I added the pvc conduit  to hold the mizzen sheet block up. The conduit is stiff enough that it doesn't bend side to side. Because it is a rope attachment it’s free to move fore & aft to align with the angle of the mizzen sheet. It works well & cost me nothing.

Also I run a “German “ mizzen sheet & wishbone boom so the sheet emerges at the mizzen mast beside the main sheet.

• Like 1