Noise under motor

Aphers

Whilst I was repairing my Spindrift, I had the loan of a little grp tender. It was terrible! Cramped, slow, wet, exceptionally heavy. My wife and I could only just drag it up a slipway, even though it was less than 9ft long. It was also impossible to row, because the flimsy rowlocks would just bend and allow the oars to pop out. We've used as much petrol in the last two weeks as we have in the preceding twelve months, simply because the outboard was the only option, even on flat calm days.

But the loaned dinghy had one redeeming feature: under motor it was lovely and quiet. In contrast, the Spindrift reverberates like the soundbox of a guitar. Not really surprising given the construction.

My motor is a little single cylinder 2 stroke, not known for smooth or quiet running.

Has anybody used a different type of motor and found the noise to be reduced? I'm wondering if a twin cylinder or a 4 stroke would be an improvement?

My 4 stroke suzuki 2.5 hp was quieter than my 2hp stroke yamaha but inevitably heavier (13.5 kg vs 9.8kg)

Twin cylinders are smoother but not much quieter and weigh a lot more.

On balance I prefer the noisy lightweight motor.

Noise cancelling headphones?😉

Cheers

Peter HK

I have a cheapo electric motor that claims it is saltwater capable.  Darned thing works great on small boats.  12v battery gives me trolling speed on my little 10' flatbottomed rowboat for 5 hours.  It is not strong enough to move my Core Sound 17 any further than from the dock to the mooring,  but since the CS17 sails so well, nothing else needed.  For open ocean, I use a Tohatsu 3.5.  quiet enough if we yell at each other.