Sprit Storage on Mark Threes

Don Silsbe

The manufacturers of polycarbonate and acrylic recommend silicone for bedding their products.  It is the one time I use the evil stuff. I mask off the adjacent areas to avoid contamination.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree Dave, silicone sealer is some terrible stuff.  My wife had a Tripp design Columbia 26 that “someone” had put about 2 lbs of the stuff on the ports.  I ended up using a wire wheel on a drill to remove it.  Again I mention excellent luck with VHB on plexiglass/hull interface.  Back to sprit haulage….

• Like 2

I can't take credit for this sprit storage idea. The previous owner did it and it works well for longer distance travel. Its a lot like Amos's but a bit more water protected. I am still hoping to store the sprit/sails on the boom in a wrap/bag like Jay had for shorter term trailering. Thanks for the pics guys!

PXL_20240304_010448695.jpg

• Like 1

Years ago, my brother had a cute little board boat, a Mossberg Mallard.  He built a nifty storage box on the trailer to store the mast.  Once, he forgot to properly latch the door, and the mast escaped.  I was given the useless (without a rig) boat, and it took me YEARS to get a replacement.  Every time I see spars stowed on the trailer, it brings all those memories back.  Just be DAMNED careful, if you stow your sprits like this.  Sure, for us, we would just make a new set.  But you could end up ruining some sweet sailing plans that way.