Sprit Storage on Mark Threes

Don Silsbe

For Chessie I kept the sails bent to the sprits and had sail bags of Sunbrella made for each.  They were easily lashed on the port-side cockpit seat.  The mizzen assembly fit [on the seat] entirely within the cabin bulkhead and the transom.  The bag for the mains’l and sprit was laid out with the luff and forward end of the sprit to aft.  The sail bags were  zippered and tapered for a loose fit and made smaller where the sprit extended beyond the sail’s luff.  Only that part of the mains’l bag extended a little beyond the transom.

Earlier I bagged the sails in a lightweight non waterproof material and stowed them in the cabin — with the sprits in a pair of cradles on top of the masts.  I abandoned that when I had to de-rig in rain and stow throughly wet sail bags inside the cabin for road transport.

• Thanks 1

My sails had slides rather than being laced to the mast. I also had the long battens. Sails were kept in "sausage" sail bags. No big deal hooking on reefing lines. I only rigged them on the first reef point. Never had a reason to go to second reef. All lines including reefing lines went to the cockpit.

@Chick Ludwig— Only the top two battens are full length.  Avocet’s are rolled to the sprits, with the reefs already in.  They are also stored in sausage bags, along with the sprits..  Ted’s sprits take up the full length of the interior of his Sienna.  Since others pull with smaller vehicles, such as Graham’s VW Rabbit, I wondered where they put them. I see no evidence of sprits in the photo I posted of Carlita, for example

My approach with Norma T…

I run a couple ties around both sprits and both masts and the snotters remain attached with the slack taken up. Everything feels firm for modest road travel. I tuck the sails under the side decks and wrap the sheets around each end of the sail bag and flip the fenders over the middle of the bag for a bit more security.  This arrangement is quick and feels adequate for about 50 mph… the drive to local lake. If I need freeway speed the masts and sprits stay in place (with a third cradle fit into the rudder’s gudgeons) and the sails go in the van and everything gets bundled up to avoid flapping lines. 

The reef lines of Avocet make it tough to use this approach. Still thinking on this. 
B4B6A486-5B10-4C16-B088-1C000ECC8CFB.thumb.jpeg.ee960c6bb33b1095cd96ddb018eae5b3.jpeg

On 8/17/2022 at 4:25 AM, PadrePoint said:

The reef lines of Avocet make it tough to use this approach. Still thinking on this. 

My challenge will be to make the reefing lines easily removable, yet preserve Richard’s clever one-sided system.

Note to all: Ted and I are collaborating on modifications to Avocet.  

Our mizzen is on a tabernacle (I suppose all the MK3 20s are) and I just lay my sprits on top of the masts protection provided by pipe insulation, with a few bungees holding it in place.  We got tired of the macramé classes untangling the reefing lines after trailering so I made a ventilated cover for the entire mast/sprit assembly when trailering,  long long zipper!  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Don, sorry for the late reply,  we have been enjoying Kalos! Back home now and I would be glad to post a picture tomorrow of our Core Sound mast assembly.  We can rig in less than 20 minutes with no rush.  The cover just keeps the macramé to a minimum.  Pics tomorrow! 

We are looking forward to seeing everyone at the Messabout!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I have my. Core Sound disassembled currently for a minor refit so the masts/sprits are currently just laying on the tabernacles.  The reefing lines and topping lifts  stay attached to the sprits and masts wile under the cover. It had greatly sped up the launch process greatly.  We have trailered the boat from Texas to Maine with our mast covered with no problem at all.  The sailcovers have both twist locks and zippers.  When we travel we zip the covers up and toss the bundles in the cabin, twist locks otherwise.  Currently reassembling the boat so I can send better photos once we reattach the masts to the tabernacles. 

I recently painted the hull and replacing the ports plexiglass.  Not recommending this technique but I installed the plexiglass posts with 3M VHB in 2015, first boat I have ever been aboard the ports didn’t leak!  I had to break the plexiglass removed with a hammer and sharp putty knife.  I broke my leg in August so some of my progress is slower than I want, just now “certified “ to play in the shop. 

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg