Vardo Launch in Kansas

7 hours ago, andy00 said:

Brother Scott:

Nice! Please share your thoughts about how the boat paddles.

Fair winds, Andy

I should preface my comment by saying that I have very little experience in a kayak.  I rented a plastic sit on top kayak once on Waikiki beach...that's it!!  Compared to that the Vardo felt less stable but much faster.  I'm also not sure I have the turning technique down yet.  I started out with a 1.5 in foam pad and then chucked the pad to see if the boat felt more stable just sitting on the floor boards.  It did, but could just be me getting used to the boat.  I don't think stability will be a problem, it's just a newbie adjusting to the environment. Although sitting on the floorboard was ok for a short paddle, I plan on cutting down the pad to .75 in and going with that.  Probably need a little cushion for longer seat time.  I was using a store bought paddle but intend to build a Greenland when time permits.  The back pad slid down a little, so an extra screw or two will be inserted to remedy that issue. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kayak_building_with_fir said:

It's beautiful!

Thanks.  Turned out better than I expected.  Skin Boats (https://www.skinboats.org/) provided the pigment and they recommend only using a small amount...adding just a teaspoon at a time until the desired color is achieved.  Thing is, I never was happy with the color and ended up using all of the pigment to get the color dark enough.  Although there are many drips and runs that you can't see in the pictures, I'm satisfied with the final result. 

Scott:

You're right, you will get used to the "instability." And yes, 1.5 inches sounds like too much. I favor a Therm-A-Rest Trail Seat, which is thin and self-inflating, which allows me to adjust the amount of air. And it feels good. It stays put with a couple of patches of Velcro on the floor boards and on the Trail Seat.  You're also on the right track with whittling a Greenland-style paddle. My Favorite is the red and black one in the middle of the photo. It is something of a hybrid Greenland/Aleut (8'-7" long, 3-3/8" blade width).

Fair winds!

paddles.jpg

• Like 1

I used slats (short pieces of stringer stock) instead of plywood for the bottom. I might change my mind for long trips, but I find them comfortable with no padding.  Each slat gives according to the pressure on it with no hard spots. I have also tried a replacement seat/back rest intended for sit upons.  The seat part is quit thin and the added height to the back rest (over just a back band) is nice for coasting or just sitting to enjoy the views. Unless low makes the combing to high to comfortably paddle over, low is my choice.

• Like 1