New guy Flyfisher 13

Bones

Hello all, Bones from Colorado Springs here. Just bought the plans for the Flyfisher 13 canoe here. I've built a couple pirogue style wood canoes of my own design (well, cribbed from others I've seen. Just sat on the garage floor and made some chalk marks and said that looks about right.) so I have some experience with epoxy, filets, marking out wood, etc. It's been about 10 years since the last build. I have a few questions about the Flyfisher.

1st. Where is a decent place to get 4mm Okume shipped to Colorado Springs that won't charge me my weight in gold to deliver?

2nd I've never seen metric sixed ply sheets as laid out in the plans. Anybody know who carries it? Or should I just plan on adding the little triangle piece to the cutout parts?

3rd. Would this be a good project for a first round'ish canoe build or should I chose something like the  Moccasin 14 for the 1st? The Flyfisher seems a bit like the "tortured" plywood Sweet Dream canoe.

4. Any tips and or tricks up your sleeves? I'm sure I'll have other questions as I go along.

I have the summer off (Teacher) so once I get the materials together, I'm ready to get after it. If anybody is interested, I'll do a build log with pictures here.

Thanks in advance for any direction/help in advance. Have a great day.

Hi there Bones!  The Flyfisher 13 is a great starter boat.  I built one a few years back.  It was easy-breezy.  I have two tips:

1.  Be sure to sandwich the four end pieces, and cut & trim them as a single unit.  They must all be perfectly the same for the boat to come out right.  I simply shoot a couple of screws through the stack to hold it together.  The screws are easy to back out when done.  Those holes are easily filled, once you start doing your filets.

2. When gluing in the center reinforcement, be sure to use A LOT of weight.  I didn’t, and the boat had a slight hogback shape in the bottom.

Not sure what you mean by sixed plywood. Please explain.

AAEAC26F-5CED-4DC4-A70C-7640C2B48758.jpeg

DA5436D5-1140-4443-83CD-B14143770FE4.jpeg

Thanks for the reply Don. I fat fingered the sixed. I meant metric sized plywood. In the plans, it calls for a metric sheet which is an inch'ish longer in both dimensions instead of true 4x8 feet. They say if you cant get the 1200x2400mm then to add little triangles to the 4 cut end pieces. I'm guessing I'll edge glue them on with thickened epoxy.