Replacing rotten wood Core Sound 17 Just dug it out an hit with Penetrating Epoxy on good wood. Anyone use Fixwood?

musicmanx2

Now I plan to use Fixwood to fill the area back in and sand etc to make it blend in with the edge.

My question is would it be a good idea to put three or four screws across the back edge to give the Fixwood something

to grab onto? It's smooth now with the epoxy on it. They don't have to be long screws maybe 1 inch stainless.

Anyone use Fixwood from Total Boat. The is a Core Sound 17 and has a bad spot just out under the edge of the splash rail.

What do you think guys?

IMG_1426.jpeg

I would never use any of the so-called penetrating epoxies. You can't fix wood.  I would carve out all of the rot, then create a shape that I could fabricate a dutchman for. Then scarf in a piece of compatible wood. If needed I might use a little filler to fair it out. 

I dug all the rotten wood out and just hit it with the penetrating to seal the good wood.

I thought the fix wood could be used in a project like this. What type of solid wood be good to use for this and 

how to install the wood after I cut it to shape. Epoxy it in and with stainless screws to anchor it.

I guess I would run screws all the way through it to anchor it to the the good wood. I would drill it so not to

split the wood. Hmmm

I thought this Fixwood  from Total Boat epoxy putty would do the job and be strong if I gave it something to anchor to. Has anyone used the Fixwood from Total Boat???????????????????

• musicmanx2 changed the title to Replacing rotten wood Core Sound 17 Just dug it out an hit with Penetrating Epoxy on good wood. Anyone use Fixwood?