Ravenswood LV FROG

Hal Hammond

• 1 year later...

I added coaming supports to my Ravenswood after I completed it and found that the plywood coaming flexed more than I liked when getting in and out of the boat. Since I couldn't lash them in, I glued them to the gunwales and lower layer of coaming with epoxy (see pic below). If I was building another boat, I would install lashable ones as shown in Vardo photo above.

ravens brace 3.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, andy00 said:

I added coaming supports to my Ravenswood after I completed it and found that the plywood coaming flexed more than I liked when getting in and out of the boat. Since I couldn't lash them in, I glued them to the gunwales and lower layer of coaming with epoxy (see pic below). If I was building another boat, I would install lashable ones as shown in Vardo photo above.

Thanks for the advice.  Fortunately, I have not skinned the boat yet.  Time to fabricate some supports.

• 1 month later...

The coaming support that I showed proudly in the post above failed a few weeks later. The epoxy didn't fail but it pulled off the surface layer of the wood of the gunwale and the coaming. Perhaps a message about hubris from the kayak gods. The 1st pic below shows the areas where the support pulled off. The 2nd pic shows the failed brace (left) and the new one designed to be lashed to the frame (right). The last pic shows the new brace lashed in place. I'll put the boat out on the lawn, see how the modification works, and report back.

ravens brace 4.jpg

ravens brace 5.jpg

ravens brace 6.jpg

• Like 2