Lack of detail in plans

Craig Brown

I've got my Vardo pulled together with bungee cords and am ready to start wrapping the frame with sinew.  The first problem is the bow beams at 3 feet.  They're not long enough to reach the coaming and laminated arch.  They need to be at least 2 feet longer.  It would help if the plans told me how many beams I need.  Cedar is too expensive to waste.  I assumed 2 deck beams at 6'6'' and 2 rear deck beams.  But what do I do with the 2, 3 foot bow beams.  It would really help if there a good drawing showing how everything fits together.  I've got $200 invested from Kudzu Craft, $200 in lumber and will need another $200 for the skin from the Skin Boat School.

In the  12 years that VARDO plans has been available I have never been asked that question. Sounds like you caught a 12 year old mistake to me.

Plans list quantity for all three (even though it does appear only two are  needed)

Deck beams are listed on the plans and long enough.

You don't have to waste those, just cut a scarf and glue them up to length needed. I do it all the time. Never built a boat that didn't have a few scarfs in the stringers.

Kudzu is right about the scarfing.  I used scarfing to make deck beams out of cutoffs I had laying around.  

Here's a tip that might help.  My side deck beams were too pointy where they met the laminated beam (red circle) and pushed on the skin.  I didn't realize it until sewing up the skin, but was able to reach in and sand them down before fully tightening up the fabric.

image.png.69cdda76575da31d9dc6db5466b4ce2d.png

image.thumb.jpeg.72c1dd804577f401de48ddfc0b8be8c5.jpeg

IMG_20220506_145055912_HDR.thumb.jpg.a98ef9970db0f6eb0ee590f306e53241.jpg

Scott:

Good work-around on those deck beams. The optimal approach, which I'm sure you know now, is to have the beams extend a few inches beyond the masik (laminated beam) and taper them down gradually. Do you have pics of that boat with skin? In the water?

Fair winds, Andy