Family Flotilla: Boat selection

Andy B

So here's the question: If you had a group of seven who wanted to sail together what selection of small boats would you choose to form your flotilla? 

Okay, this is probably a pipe dream, but a fun one!  I currently own a Sea Pearl 21.  I've overnighted on it once with one child.  One adult and one child is max capacity for an overnight (I have day-sailed with 7, and would sail with up to 4 in just about any conditions the boat can handle). 

I have a family of seven that I would love to take on a week-long cruise in the north channel of Lake Huron.  I don't want to bareboat a large catamaran, that doesn't seem to be the right way to experience this area fully.  So I would need to add one or two small boats to the Sea Pearl.  All kids except the youngest know how to sail and the two oldest teenagers can handle a boat.  We have drivers to trailer three boats if needed.

Here are some more details.  The older boys would probably hammock or tent camp off the boat, but there are some places where that might not be possible, so in a pinch it would be great if the boats could sleep seven.  All boats need to be able to be beached.  Motor propulsion is okay (craft big enough to hold everyone are not going to be fun to row).  A small cabin would be preferred by my wife, I think.  Known designs would be preferred because I would likely be selling some of these off after the trip, or at least in a few years when the kids move out.

Feel free to tell me I am crazy, that it's time to buy a motorhome, or that I need to buy 7 Scamps!

I thought I would put my suggestions in another comment.

Caledonia Yawl has to rank high just because of its carrying capacity.

Would I put two of the boys in a Goat Island Skiff and let them go?  Probably.

CS 17 or 20 is a great choice, of course. 

A Vivier Jewell or Swallow Bay Raider Expedition would be great, but they are rare and expensive.

An older Mariner 19 would be cheap, safe, has a small cabin and would be easy to resell.