3/8 Okoume plywood

racerx632

• 1 month later...

The way we use plywood to make frames is not at all what plywood was invented for.  I doubt there is any real testing done on it for how we use it. This being said, we know it can work well.  I would think when it comes to resisting the forces to collapse a frame, the Baltic Birch is stronger than Okoume for any given thickness, it is also heavier.  But if I wanted to torture plywood into the shape of a boat, nothing comes close to BS 1088 Okoume plywood. This is a lot like the strip canoes people build, always looking for a way to make them lighter. 

At what point is lighter not better than the strength sacrificed?

2 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

At what point is lighter not better than the strength sacrificed?

Ones motivation for reducing boat weight should be considered.  For me, I want a boat light enough that I can single-handedly mount it to the roof of a car.  The last boat I built, a stitch and glue canoe made with 1/4" okoume, came in at 80 lbs.  Too heavy to easily lift over my head, but it's great once it's in the water.

For me, wether my Vardo is 30 or 35 lbs is inconsequential considering my current fitness level.  Maybe when I'm older I'll think otherwise. ?

4 hours ago, Scott Pettigrew said:

For me, wether my Vardo is 30 or 35 lbs is inconsequential considering my current fitness level.  Maybe when I'm older I'll think otherwise. ?

I agree, and you can do that built to Jeff's specs and using 1/2" Balstic Birch

Wasn’t about how light I could get it.  It was what was available and how long I’d have to wait for more to come in.  That being said I have no issues using it and testing it in the water. If it works great.  If not I can pass that knowledge along.