My wife wants to know.

Guest Scott Dunsworth

Guest Scott Dunsworth

My wifes only concern with me building one of the Princess's is; is it possable to build a useable shower in the cabin? Also she would like hot water and a icebox. I don't know what to say except this seems to be important to her and she has the checkbook. She said if she can't have a few of these conforts that I should build the 22 because it would be plenty big enough for me by myself.

dunsworthds@psci.net

Guest Greg Luckett

Hmmm, you could maybe put in a shower that can be rigged temporarily. The hot water will be tougher, but I have read somewhere about a guy who gets hot water from his outboard engine.

I have found hot water and showers are usually in boats over 30 foot with inboard engines. Rarely in a trailerable sized boat.

You might try whining for a while and making sure she sees you looking at very expensive boats. I have also pointed out to my wife that I do not bar hop or chase women...the boats absorb me instead. She usually just laughs at me and says enjoy the water. Good luck:).

luckettg@qtm.net

Guest Brad Whitehurst

If you will be out in relatively sunny weather, the SunShower products really work. Get one of the large (5 gal. ?) Stearns SunShowers and make a place to tie it down flat on the cabin roof.

They actually make a collapsible, portable shower curtain for privacy(?) that you might use in the cockpit, but if you could figure out where to put a shower seat below that wouldn't get stuff wet, you could run a hose below through the cabin or through a port and connect it to the SunShower above, putting the sprinkler nozzle below instead of right on the bag.

I have one on my older 30' sailboat (Tartan 30) because I have no desire to complicate matters with a new hot water heater system. I usually wear a pair of trunks if there are peepers around and just shower in the cockpit. In the summer, I can get water as hot as out of the tap at home, depending on the amount of sun. The winter is another issue, but I haven't cruised in the winter yet.

Here's the enclosure:

07241_F.JPG

And here's the Sunshower(s):

D08200_F.JPG

Guest bill Heil

Big portable coolers make good iceboxes and you can use them for other occasions. Building in the icebox probably wouldn't be a problem, but refrigeration to keep it cool would be a major expense both in initial cost and in the equipment to keep it going. All that would probably be too much weight too. Sunshower and big cooler is the way to go, even in a 22. Bill

schwmh@cconnect.net

Guest Scott Dunsworth

I have a icebox that I removed from a 97 colman popup camper. I think it will work well. As for the shower, I think a set down shower can be built in a small space,say 30"x 36" or 40"x whatever the headroom there is. And use this space also for a portable tolit. I have been looking at the hot water heaters and plumbing etc. in Hamilton marine and I think I can get these things installed to look and function fine. My biggest concern is the added weight of a six gallon hot water heater,fresh water tank ( 20 gal.), 25 gal. gray water tank and a 10lb. propane tank. With these full of water also how to balance it all out. Making thinks look right and making them work with the boat are two differant things and the last one I am not qualified for. As for the sleeping area if I keep enough for two that will be fine. It looks like there should be enough room in the 26 footer for these wife comforts. Any thoughts would be welcomed. I am not in a big hurry to get this boat started so I am just trying to get everthing set in my head how I want to build. I'll buy the 26 plans as soon as they are ready. But right now my shop needs a little work before starting.

dunsworthds@psci.net

Guest Graham Byrnes

If you go to our web site, we have (fianlly) gotten something preliminary up for the 26'er - it should give you some idea of the spaces/bulkhead placement and general interior. This is one standard interior, but you can work off of it and see if you can get a wife friendly amenity pack. Obviously, if you only want two berths, you have a lot more options.

The weight of the water/grey water/hot water tank will not be any problem. We have a table of weights and moments in a spreadsheet form, which we can supply with the plan, so that you can play around with interior options and actually see what you will do to trim, etc...it'a a whole lot easier than building and then finding out you have to tear it out. And we are always happy to check things over for you and work with you.

We really do encourage folks to "do their own thing". Which is, to my mind one of the main reasons to build your own boat - you get the superior product for your personal needs.

Guest Tom Hubbard

For camping/boating showers, this is the best looking source of heaters I have found. The heaters are of the tankless, on-demand variety and have self-contained pumps that can opperate from the boats existing electrical system. I actually found the site looking for a tent heater which they also make. Similar principle to the water heater, but heats air and uses a forced air fan to blow it into the tent from the outside, so there is no fire hazard inside. I have thought if I ever get my wife to let me build this my boat, then it would be just perfect to heat the cabin.

Camping/Boating Water Heaters

thubbard@indy.rr.com

Guest Scott Dunsworth

Yes thanks for the link Tom. I added it my favorites so I would'nt loose it when the time comes. I like the one that you use with the stove top. Thanks again.

dunsworthds@psci.net

Guest Tom Hubbard

Glad I had something useful to share. My boatbuilding days are out beyond the forseeable future, but I really like hanging out listening to all you guys talking about the building you are doing. I am hoping to start model building this winter though on my highly modified Stevenson's vacationer.

thubbard@indy.rr.com

Guest Steve Miller

I have one of the twin burner Zodi showers that we use camping. They work great! Runs off two of the green disposable propane tanks. Need 2 people - one to shower and one to operate the unit since water MUST be flowing if the burners are lit. It is a good idea to have a big tub for water since you tend to take longer showers. We use a Rubbermaid tub that holds about 20 gallons. The pressure is a little better a solar shower but the warm water is not limited. The pump on mine is a Rule bilge pump powered by a seperate gel cell battery. Would be easy to store this and a nylon enclosure in a very small space in your boat. My wife says it is a "real" shower. The bigger issue is getting 20 gallons of fresh water on board that you are willing to use for a shower.

kg7pv@hevanet.com