Bottom Paint

Kennneee

I need to come up with a plan for coating the bottom of my Lapwing.  She may have to remain in the water for weeks at a time when I am in British Columbia.  I have used graphite in epoxy on quite a few kayaks, mostly for abrasion resistance.  I have doubts that it would be effective against marine growth.  On Rosie I have used Pettit Hydrocoat which has served me well but it is not legal in BC at this point.  Ask me how I know, urrrrh.  Any suggestions?

If weeks is the max time it is left in the water I don't think the effectiveness of the anti-fouling is a serious issue.  You can always beach the boat and give the bottom a going over with a kitchen scrubby pad every 2 or 3 weeks. You do need something besides the LPU. I always used an ablative on my displacement boat, but it stayed in for 6 months. I think in your case I would look for a hard paint that meets your environmental laws.

I am leaning towards some graphite in epoxy.  It might make cleaning the bottom and sliding on to the trailer marginally easier.   I have both on hand and I think a black bottom will look good with the color combo I am going to paint the topsides with.  No perfect solution.  Thanks for the input guys.

2 hours ago, Don Silsbe said:

I wonder if the marine life varies from region to region enough to require this variation.

It can make a huge difference.  I kept my boat in Stonnington Harbor CT for several years where I barely needed to wipe the waterline for the 6 months.  I moved to Wickford Harbor RI and with the same paint I had barnacles showing in less than a month.

30 minutes ago, Hirilonde said:

It can make a huge difference.  I kept my boat in Stonnington Harbor CT for several years where I barely needed to wipe the waterline for the 6 months.  I moved to Wickford Harbor RI and with the same paint I had barnacles showing in less than a month.

Dave- Are you a Connecticut guy?  I lived there for much of my early life.  I remember Stonnington as being a sweet place.