First time builder - Core Sound 17 Mark 3

Samantha Ritchie

I do not usually disagree with Chic but I have piano hinges on the outboard edge my interior hatches and turn buttons on the inboard side. I always made sure that they were dogged down when underway in case of a knockdown. 

All exterior hatches are gasketed and dogged down.

Piano hinges worked very well on my exterior hatches (CS 17 Mk 1).  They called for what seemed like very tiny wood screws, No 4 or 6 if I recall, but they hold amazingly well, because they go in about every inch.  I believe I ordered the SS hinges from Defender or Jamestown.  I gasketed with stick-on material from the hardware store sold for car windows.  They have stayed very dry, even in full submersion (we'll not get into that....)

AWWW, Graham---it's Ok with Old Codger and me. HE never gets knocked down 'cause he's a stinkpot. On my sail boats, I'm kinda cowardly and don't sail when it's windy/stormy enough for a knockdown.  But if I did, keeping stuff from falling out would be a good idea!

12 hours ago, Chick Ludwig said:

AWWW, Graham---it's Ok with Old Codger and me. HE never gets knocked down 'cause he's a stinkpot. On my sail boats, I'm kinda cowardly and don't sail when it's windy/stormy enough for a knockdown.  But if I did, keeping stuff from falling out would be a good idea!

I guess I should think about adding interior hatches to our CS20 you built since we sometimes are caught out.  ?

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Samantha, hope your build is progressing nicely, I purchased my SS piano hinges from Fisherman's Supply in Seattle Fisheries Supply: Marine Supplies & Boat Supplies Since 1928 .  They were 20' long and I cut them to length using a portable right angle grinder with a cut off disc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Things are coming along slowly.  We unfolded the boat about a week ago, and are putting in the transom today.  Thanks for the heads up about Fisheries Supply, Mark.  That sounds like an outing in the works.  We have already been to Duckworks several times.  

B270F675-37AB-4218-8196-2CC4AF260EC1.heic F580A284-B87C-4803-938B-B5A286317408.heic

Hate to say it… but I’m not able to view the photos you provide… and I’m really interested to see your work. The link requires a download… then I have to find it in a download folder.  After some searching in my download folder… maybe this is one??  If so… super start, Samantha. ? 

7CEA555D-B7BC-4FE7-B17D-C34D4AF6B762.png

• Like 1

Yep… that’s frustrating when it happens. 
When it does, I delete the photo from my post, then go back into my photo file on my phone to edit the photo, giving it a 90 degree rotation and saving it.  Usually, when I upload again it comes into the post oriented the way I want. 
It’s great to see some actual boat forming out of all those pieces.  And, looks like you have a great shop space for this project. 

Thanks, Padre Point. I'll try that the next time I send photos.

We are not ready to start the ballast tank yet, but wonder if anybody has any experience with regulations for invasive species like zebra muscles.  Is it possible to inspect the tank well enough to prove you don't have any hitchhikers? Has anybody had difficulties with inspection stations?  We hope to trailer this boat to lots of interesting places.  

Thanks, Mark and Graham.  I think we are going to go with a hand pump instead of the Venturi bailers.  It's nice to know that the folks at the inspection stations were able to see what they needed to see.  

We are dry fitting pieces into the boat, and will need to cut the centerboard slot, which seems intimidating.   Any words of wisdom? 

A guy in my local sailing club offered the water ballast “invasive species” question to a New Zealand sailboat designer and received a couple ideas:

Yes, the spreading of invasive species with water ballast tanks is an issue, but there are a couple of possible ways of preventing that. 
    One is to dump a pint or so of bleach into the tank when filling it, another is to fill it from a treated water supply ( the town supply system) so the tank is not filled with contaminated water.