Marissa gas tank options

The Dali

So, we are about to start fiberglassing the hull and I know that will take a lot of time and energy, but in the meantime I want to start looking at gas tank options given lead times for ordering.  The Marissa is spec'd for a 16 gallon tank (permanent, although the plans also show a below-deck removable option).  We would like a permanent tank and will be routing the fill line to the side top rail. 

Any suggestions on tanks I should look at that would fit below-deck?

It is a sealed deck, but we were toying with the idea of making a gas tank cover hatch in case we have to access the tank.  Any thoughts on that approach?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I installed permanent gas tanks on a boat I built 23 years ago. They are plastic tanks (polyethylene?) and are chocked in place with hold down brackets. I can disassemble some structure to remove the tanks but it has never been necessary.

I think it is important that you have an inspection cap or port so you can access the fill hose connection, the fuel line connection, the gauge sending unit and any grounding wire that might run from the tank to the deck plate. I also think it is good to be able to access the fill hose connection to the deck plate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what the USCG regulations are but consider the use of some solid piping where allows.

It's amazing how fuel smell can build up in confined spaces (permeate through fuel hosing and less than perfect fittings).

Only use the USCG rated fuel hose.

Personally, I used a plexiglass hatch porthole so I can see what is going on in the cofferdam for the fuel tank. 

• 3 weeks later...