Modification of front locker on CS20.3

Steve W

When I was building Skeena, I decided to build her mostly stock and make changes after I figured out how I used her for awhile. Access to The forward locker has turned out to be one area I'd like to change. I often pile my guitar and pillows and bedding up top of the locker as they are light. I have even considered putting a low net across to hold stuff captive. In that forward locker I keep water in collapsable bags, but access is awkward. If I need to get to it during the day, I have to unload all the top stuff. 

I'm thinking about cutting a decent sized hatch in the vertical bulkhead and putting a tip out from the bottom hinged cover with a flange glued to the back typical to all the other hatches. I can't see any reason structurally this is bad, but I'd like any comments from Alan and Graham, and others that may have a different idea. 

Thanks in advance, 

Steve

Forward Hatch Idea.jpg

• Like 2

Graham, this mock-up is my plan. that bulkhead hatch I drew will fold down to lay on my bunk cushions and have a fiddle to keep stuff captive that I pull out. It's a weird little shape in there, but my plan is to make a lift up floor to store less often used things under and have room for my cook stuff and often used food items. right now I keep that stuff aft of the bunks and it's not ideal for during the day. 

I looked in the upper hatch (it was 5 degrees here!) and that bulkhead is wide open. I will make the hatch and a template to route the hole from and a support flange as step one if you think this is OK.  I'm probably committed to a two piece floor. I do have a waterproof hatch on the next bulkhead that I need to be able to get to and I forgot to study where it's level is. I was shivering and didn't stay long.