Core Sound 17 & 20 mk3 building from plans (no kit) among other questions

Alt12

To each their own, and I can't find fault with Silsbe's work, but to me the test is whether the boat is to be varnished. Then you need perfection without fairing. When painting you can fill and fair, high build prime and fair, and sand it to your heart's content. To the original poster of this thread I would say that if scarfing the plywood is a roadblock, you won't regret going with a butt splice joint. 

I thought I had a good eye and touch for sanding. Then a car restorer showed me the trick of putting a thin cotton cloth over my fingertips when checking for imperfections.  It will send you back for another round of perfection.

Just for fun I measured the headroom in Clementine, my modified Belhaven 19.  Bench is 14.5 inches from the floor.  Sitting headroom is 41 inches (bench to lid) and headroom at the sides is 39 inches.  Without cushions, it is probably about an inch higher than necessary. 

I don't regret the modification but it hasn't helped the looks of the boat.  In hindsight I should have consulted B&B before making the change.      

On 1/15/2022 at 7:29 AM, Kennneee said:

I have used Express Air which is located at the Victoria airport for importing things into Canada.  They have a terminal in Blaine, Washington to receive the item then they truck/ferry it to Victoria.  You go to the airport and walk the paper work through customs.  They are quite reasonable cost wise.  Last year I imported a vintage motorcycle in a crate and they charged me $50.  I think I got a “good customer” deal on that but using this service has saved me a lot of money over the years.

Cool, I'll have to check that out.

Alan, 

I didn't see where in Canada you were, but here are my free thoughts having built a CS20.3. When I built Skeena, the only thing you could get was the kit, which bummed me out. But once I started building and saw how many pieces there were and how well things fit together, I quickly got over it.

I also realized the extra time would have really added up. Ordering stock these days isn't easy and then having it sitting around at the ready takes up space. For me, who fortunately has more money than time (not retired yet!), jumping in the car and driving from NY to NC to pick up the kit was a good financial decision. It would be the same even if I lived in Vancouver. 

As for the headroom, nobody has mentioned a person's height isn't a good measurement to use for this. I am 6 feet tall and I can sit on the back of the bunks and I fit just fine. A friend who is three inches shorter can't sit as his legs are short and he has a long torso. I'd go with the 20, but I'd either simulate a cross section just forward of the cabin bulkhead for consideration before I spent all that time building a boat.

I can't wait to watch your progress. 

Alan, 

Steve W has a great suggestion.  I’ve done mockups before using corrugated cardboard.  A mockup can tell you a lot.  I am sure that B&B would provide you with a drawing section for that purpose.

And if you do decide to travel cross country to pick up the kit, you are welcome to stay here on your way through.  We’re about 6 or 7 hours from B&B, just south of Asheville, NC.