Travel 1103 Torqeedo electric motor do I need the long shaft or is the short enough?

musicmanx2

I sometimes use an EP Carry electric motor on my CS17Mk 1 and achieve 2.9 knots in calm water, mostly to pull crab pots.   The battery and motor are separate with a combined total weight of 21 lbs.   Not enough power to get you out of trouble.  It is purely a substitute for rowing and works well in that capacity.   

Their standard battery  gives you 1 hour run time at full speed.  You could easily unplug and store the battery while leaving the motor in position and probably not notice it.  Controls are a simple variable speed handle without any fancy electronics, soft buttons, or integrated battery to fail.   I get slightly more than 1 hour at full speed. 

Only down sides are once battery voltage drops the battery stops motor operation without warning and the motor at the top of the assembly produces some mechanical noise.  Dramatically quieter than a gas motor but not completely silent like some of the underwater motors. 

These motors were designed for boats much smaller than our.  Not sure how fast it would push a MkII but I'd guess it would exceed your steady state rowing speed.    

https://www.electricpaddle.com/

for my Epropulsion spirit, I bought an extension to move the battery and it’s weight more forward & downward. This works well - but a special cable with special connections is required and they are disgustingly expensive. As I definitely wanted to move that weight and didn’t dare to extend those nine pin cables myself, I dug into my wallet....

All in all, I‘m quite happy with the electric OB even though it has lately let me down due to a loose connection (which after all was my own fault)

@Wommasehn I'm interested in your setup. 

* what kind of boat do you have and where do you put the battery?
* I'm not sure where to put a battery in my cockpit. I could just put it on the cockpit floor, and run the cable to the motor. Or maybe, just keep the battery in the locker until I need it, and then pop it on the motor.  Seems like moving around with a 20lb battery wouldn't be too bad. Especially since I intend to use the motor only rarely.

image.thumb.png.22821da3870a9624335a4e6d62d82c9b.png

image.thumb.png.38c789699178098ad88feed640113469.png

hi Sanmi,

my boat is a 20 ft centerboarder with a small cabin. In case you want further information: I wrote more about her in the main forum in Jan. 2019.

The extension cable comes only in 2 meter-lengths. First I bought one which allowed to stow the battery under the side deck near the forward end of the cockpit. Better than above the transom but I was'nt completely happy with that. So I  bought another 2 m and now I keep it in the cabin, There is a doubble-berth going from side to side and the battery sits under that on top of the keelson, thus contributing to the ballast.

The Epropulsion-battery is in fact easy to install (I think, its quite similar to Torqueedo), so keeping it at some convenient place and putting it on if necessary seems quite sensible to me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wommasehn said:

The Epropulsion-battery is in fact easy to install (I think, its quite similar to Torqueedo), so keeping it at some convenient place and putting it on if necessary seems quite sensible to me.

I'm gravitating toward this solution. I also like the idea of being able to store the motor when not in use for long periods (e.g. in the wilderness for a week or two) to keep the motor from fouling the mizzen sheets. There is a place next to the centerboard where it might fit. However, if I'm going to be in the wilderness for a week or two, I'll probably want to use all of my storage for supplies.  So maybe storing the motor isn't that important?

image.png.24fc111873cd769047d08b455758fa4a.png

• Like 1

As far as cable is concerned, I bought a long set of jumper cables, and cut the clamps off of one end.  On that end, I spliced the cable to my motor’s feed connections.  I now have a very long power cable with very handy attachment clamps at the battery end.

I am aware of the resistance generated when using small wire over long runs.  All my long extension cords are 12 ga.  

The jumper cable I’m using is a larger diameter wire than the feed wire that is on the motors.  I bought a long, heavy-gage set of jumper cables, cut them in half, spliced one half to my transom mount motor (35# thrust), and the other to the bow mount motor I use when in fishing mode.  

E975BBE3-8EDC-434B-8129-AE29C7F29FE4.thumb.jpeg.2acb2a90ffa8e8937b2429da673bc243.jpeg
While I was at it, I spliced in a standard 12volt power socket to run accessories.  I use the 35# motor on my Two Paw 8, by the way.

FWIW - Several years ago I discovered on my big boat that the lightning ground from the mast to the keel and another from the mast to the grounding plate would come apart in my hands. Turns out that the builder used welding cable back in the day — bad idea and definitely not approved nowadays. A friend recommended bestboatwire.com as a resource for marine grade cable. I got tinned copper very large battery cables that they cut to my specs and installed terminals. I feel more secure but still hope the boat isn’t hit by lightning (again). I was pleased with their service and that the wire is made in the USA. 

• Like 1

The Torqeedo "Travel" is a family of motors the largest of which is the 1103 AC @ 915 watts generating 3 hp.

Has anyone considered mounting the motor inboard? Maybe I just like the work, but the modification needed is fairly straight forward and shouldn't be that hard on a finished boat, using epoxy to make the changes.

I am building a B&B Yacht design, CS20M3, and have left the rear seat top off. this gives me clear access to mount my 1103 AC inboard.

As of this moment I have not yet installed the motor. I have taken my pdf construction drawings and the pdf Torqeedo 1103 specification drawings and imported them into Sketchup (everything to scale) and modeled the inboard mount. I prefer to test all changes before making holes in a boat.

The model works beautifully. I've been in contact with B&B Yachts about location and Alan recommends placing the motor toward center (from where it is, in upper drawing), using the cockpit side as one side of the inboard trough walls, which will keep this area from flooding.

My reasons for electric have nothing to do with the environment and are purely for selfish reasons. This setup will be extremely quiet, I can charge in the middle of nowhere using a solar panel. I will also carry a small gas powered genset just in case the clouds stick around too long.

Maybe here is a good place to ask, does anyone know if a 1500 watt gen set is enough to power the 915 watt BLDC while under way, if not what size?

I am eagerly waiting to see how my over all vision will work.

Inboard Torqeedo 1103 AC.png

Don,

I'm not sure but I suspect the battery monitoring system would probably object to running the motor while attempting to charge.  Next best thing might be charging a spare battery and changing it out.  Considering the high cost of fast chargers, perhaps a 1kW portable AC generator and a 10 or 15 Amp charger would be adequate.   Long trips wouldn't be much different from running a gas outboard except you would have to manage your speed to stay within your battery recharge rate.