Resin ratio questions.

Salty Cracker

Hello.

I have a B & B Spindrift 11 build planned for early spring and have been doing a lot of reading and watching.

I'm figuring out my epoxy options and of course I have choices of 5:1, 3:1 and 2:1. In any case, I'll likely be using the slow hardener but what questions should I be asking myself and what should I know about the ratio options before choosing one?

I’be always been leery of the 5:1 product.  The epoxies I’ve used on the past have been sensitive to keeping the proportions precise.  I’d be afraid of being off when there would be a big squirt of one, and a little squirt of another.  But I’ve not worked with the 5:1.  It’s not worth it to me to invest a lot of money to try it out.  I’ve had good results with MAS, West, Raka, System 3, and B&B.  West seemed to have the most odor, followed by MAS.  But they all worked.  I could not tell the difference in the final product.  Don’t waste time worrying over the epoxy.  Save that energy for the paint decision.

I have absolutely no issues with any of the mixes.  West System is 5:1 and I am mixing half pump by eye batches all the time with no cure problems.  If I were ordering a kit I would buy B&B because of price.  I keep my shop stocked with West because I just use it for small projects these days.

• Like 1

I've only used West Systems.  Only issue has been with the pumps that require a larger batch than I need, or malfunction when the can gets close to empty and leave me guessing on ratios.    I've had no problems after switching to a cheap digital scale which is also handy for mixing two part epoxy paints.   

I have used all of the epoxies mentioned over the years.  The only one of the above that I had a problem with was MAS.  On one of my strip kayaks that was in the sun a lot  the epoxy  seemed to soften a bit and allow some creep in the strips.  I think that is an unusual case so I wouldn’t completely discount using it for most applications.   I migrated to System Three Silvertip eventually and it is a great product. Recently I started using BandB epoxy and it is a fine product and reasonably priced.  For water clear, super light layups I will still use System 3 Silver Tip.  For almost anything else I will use BandB epoxy.   I will never go back to the 5:1 and 3:1 products because it is easier to mix a 2:1 batch when doing small batches.  I use a scale and my brain has an easier time doing the math with a 2:1 mix.  I have also read that the 5:1 mix is more likely to cause a allergic reaction.  I can’t verify this but it is worth investigating.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:36 PM, Kennneee said:

.  I have also read that the 5:1 mix is more likely to cause a allergic reaction.  I can’t verify this but it is worth investigating.

It really is best not to type something if you don't know. A skeptic investigates when in doubt.

On 12/15/2021 at 2:58 PM, Salty Cracker said:

More prone to amine blush too... right? I don't remember where I read/heard that.

Same comment as above.  And even is so, wipe it off with water.

Dave, with all due respect (and I mean that), please let grown men have a back-and-forth without the scolding okay?

Ken was nice enough to offer a gentle opinion with the advice to investigate for myself if I was interested. I didn't take it as gospel so no need to worry.

And I have been told by those I trust that 5:1 is more prone to amine blush. It was advised to use warm soap and water or better yet, peel ply.

People come to this forum because of the wealth of knowledge so many members have.  Speculation lowers the standard and sometimes misleads.  When in doubt, ask questions or do more homework. With all due respect, and I mean it too, I will call people out who present unfounded technical opinions.

I have yet to hear of a single epoxy that is completely blush free. This means that what ever brand you choose, it would be wise to wash the epoxy surface before putting anything on top of it.  Even better, before you sand and again after. So IMO it doesn't matter at all how much it blushes, I will clean it thoroughly any how.

I have no interest in getting into an argument over which epoxy is better or wether you drive a Chevy or a Ford.  I don’t footnote everything I share but like to believe it could have some value.  Dave, I find your posts some of the most interesting and informative that I read here and wilI do say this will all due respect.  I believe that this is a great place to share knowledge, opinions and to inspire.  I can say for instance, that I never had System 3 Silver Tip blush and West System has blushed for me.  Is that a big deal?  You decide.  Does mean it is the gosepel truth for all?  Obviously there are many variables.  To put out our personal experience is part of why where are sharing this space.  Everybody should do their own research, but chiming in with what we have seen or heard  gives us all food for thought.  I would hate to have people hold back for fear that they may need a bit of course correction.  As long as it doesn’t get personel or nasty, have at it.  Partake at your own risk.

For some more food for thought here is an old, well researched epoxy comparison.  

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Epoxresl.htm

Ken

Thank you Dave for your insight and wealth of knowledge. And point taken.

Please notice that I did in fact do what you suggest...I asked a question. And somebody was kind enough to offer their personal experience. No unfounded technical opinions were presented. Just personal experience with the responsible advice to investigate it for myself.

As credible as Ken, you or anybody else around here sounds, anybody should be well advised to remember that this is still just an internet hobby forum and any advice given is just the personal experiences of those offering it.

I'll take your advise and please take mine; Remember that we're all adults here so please keep the scolding to yourself.

I hope we can let this little sidetrack end here but if you want the last word, be my guest.