Looking for Spindrift 11 build logs

Salty Cracker

Hi folks. I'm new here and to building home made boats.

I have a Spindrift 11 on order and my sons and I expect to begin construction soon after the new year.

I've read whatever I can, watched a YouTube Spindrift build series and the B&B Core Sound 15 build.

Now I'm looking for whatever guidance I can find here.

You sound well prepared.  I found Alan’s CS15 videos were crucial to my gaining the understanding and skills to begin and accomplish the various steps along the way. I often reviewed the video corresponding to the step I was about to undertake and gained confidence to just “start and do.”

And, epoxy can be a messy process… just happens.  I developed skin reactions to epoxy and significantly increased my precautions.  A respirator mask was a key component… and I got used to it. (They weren’t available on my 2020 build… pandemic.)  My 2021 build went well in this regard. 

Oh, and I’m the guy who coached my neighbor (9th grade girl) in building her Spindrift 10 this year.  Glad to offer support. 

Thank you both.

3 hours ago, PadrePoint said:

Oh, and I’m the guy who coached my neighbor (9th grade girl) in building her Spindrift 10 this year.  Glad to offer support. 

Yes, I saw that one while I was searching for build logs. I breezed through it but will take more time to study before we begin. Has she finished it yet?

I'm hoping to find a step by step build log here on this forum. I'd appreciate it if anybody wants to point me in the right direction. I'll be building this with my two teen boys and we'll need all of the help we can find. Thanks.

Chris

Just about any B&B sailboat build thread could have useful info. The 4 Spindrifts are so similar that any thread would be good for details to see. I would also start your own thread.  You can post progress and ask questions as you go. Specific questions always seem to me to elicit the best information.

How are you guys set with some basic tools for this project?

Step by step… there certainly is some ordering of processes… many steps clearly follow others (the CS 15 videos make for a good guide on order), but a good number of things can be done at once or at varying times as independent tasks.

I agree that starting your own build blog on this forum could fun and helpful.  (Making a single ongoing thread might be more helpful than a bunch of individual thread-questions.) There were a number of times that people contributed onto my thread JUST what I needed (especially from B&B people… who seem to keep up with postings.)

The Wheezer’s Spindrift 10 is still waiting for paint.  She decided to do her own painting (another new skill) and will start when swimming competitions are complete. 

This project sounds like something fun to follow. I’m looking forward to it. And, it can make some helpful new skills and interests. 

1 hour ago, Hirilonde said:

I would also start your own thread.  You can post progress and ask questions as you go. Specific questions always seem to me to elicit the best information.

Yeah, okay. I'll do that. I hope I don't wear out my welcome with a bunch of questions though.

This will be my first build and first time using epoxy so I'm a little nervous about screwing something up. Besides that, I won't have the luxury of doing it on my own without two teenagers that expect I know what I'm doing.

16 minutes ago, PadrePoint said:

How are you guys for some basic tools for this project?

I have all of the standard home-owner tools. There will be some stuff I'll have to get like clamps, router, planer and respirators.

I'd be delighted to be offered a list of all of the tools that I'll need to have. Including quality firberglassing tools.

As far as materials goes, does everybody feel comfortable with the quality of fiberglass and resin that B&B offers? Are the resins from Total Boat or West Marine any better?

2 minutes ago, PadrePoint said:

I think B&B’s materials are very good quality at fair and competitive prices. I’ve been very pleased. 

I’ll identify some things I found useful. 

Good to know then, I'll just stick with getting all of my materials from B&B then.

A list of tools/helpful items will be valuable to me, thanks.

How about the young lady you were mentoring? How is her project going? I think that's a really cool thing you did by helping her out with that.

I don’t think it “ruins” anything. Using B&B’s wood dust for fillets makes for a darker color but I find it kind of blends in with the natural wood. I don’t have anything to photograph (everything is now in storage) but somebody else might. 

The Wheezer is leaving the thwarts, bow  deck, rudder assembly, boom, and dagger board natural (“bright”).  Everything else will be…

Pink!

Actually, I took this photo of the inside of my new boat (as of yesterday) that illustrates this somewhat.  This is all epoxy finished.  You can see the fiberglass tape and filleting in the joints but it’s the interior, so not very important.  And, I’m learning how to bang my head against the bulkheads. ?

2D070736-9E97-4915-AC89-CB6C0ADC5C9F.thumb.jpeg.535ad4cf08431f5781e2dca704ef0cf2.jpeg

A8D48BDC-9200-456A-A758-0C563B4BE95A.thumb.jpeg.c803b7cd23b52ff39a9a5719b9283768.jpeg

I don't have a build log, because when I built the Suzy J I didn't think of having one and just asked occasional questions. But here are a few videos to keep you focused:
 Sailing and Motoring. 

Sailing with my kids Sunfish

And my favorite sailing video of all time:

Also, there is a link in my signature to a lot of build pics. Hard to believe the kids are all away now.......