Looking after my oars

Aphers

Many years ago I was given a set of very nice lightweight oars from a skiff. They belonged to a neighbour's husband and were passed on to me when he died. I later lent them to another friend until he sadly passed away and they have come back to me.

At 7' long they are a very nice fit for my Spindrift 11N. But the existing collars are in the wrong place and I will need to move them. There is some damage to the wood already, and I will be sliding the collars down over this.

What's the best way to treat/protect the wood before I cover it with the collars? I could use epoxy but would that trap moisture inside the wood? Traditional varnish? Oil? Or stop worrying about it and just move the (plastic/rubber) collars?

My oars are varnished, except for the grips which have as coat of boiled linseed oil diluted 50% with turpentine.  My buttons are teak and eopoxied on and the leathers are sewn over 4 coats of varnish. I am up to 6 coats on all exposed wood cept the grips.

What is the damage and what caused it? Do you have leathers to protect the loom from wear at the rowlocks? 7 feet sounds about right for a Spindrift 11.  I use 6'5" for my Spindrift 9 and think it is perfect.  It is my 3rd pair of oars and the length is based on how the previous 2 pairs felt.

edit:  I don't ever use epoxy for waterproofing on solid wood.

@Hirilonde— I’m currently refurbishing a boat for a friend that did not use epoxy as a sealer,  I think I caught it in time, however.  Your treatment on the grips is interesting.  I might have to try that.  So far, I’ve not treated them with anything except the “oils” from my hands.  

@Aphers— I agree totally with Hirilonde, except for the sealer part (hulls only).  Oars should only see varnish, and never on the grips.

15 minutes ago, Don Silsbe said:

@Hirilonde— I’m currently refurbishing a boat for a friend that did not use epoxy as a sealer,  I think I caught it in time, however.  Your treatment on the grips is interesting.  I might have to try that.  So far, I’ve not treated them with anything except the “oils” from my hands.  

It isn't really needed if the oars are stored indoors or under cover.  But letting a little oil soak in once in a while can only be positive. And you still have the non-skid of natural wood.

• Like 1