Dinghy Advice

K.J

21 hours ago, K.J said:

has anyone used Sailtrack and a lugged sail for the Spindrift?

Not a spindrift but I have a modified Welsford Golden Bay dinghy with a standing lug and spritboom. It's a nice rig- easy to set up and the spars fit in the boat.

I had sailtrack on my CS17 which works very well.

Here are some photos of the standing lug

Sailing AABB.jpg

Relaunch Day-1.JPG

• Like 1

I think I misinterpreted your term lugged sail. You probably meant slides for a sail track. They work really well and make reefing and dropping easy. As I said I had track on my CS17. It’s a good option.

But you also said a simple rig would be good and the standing lug certainly fits that definition.

Cheers

Peter HK

• 2 weeks later...

I built an 11N and am now using it as my tender. I went for the biggest boat that could practically fit on the foredeck.

Once launched, it is great. We've carried two adults and a child, with three bicycles and shopping, and still had ample room to spare. It's more stable than a smaller boat, it glides along beautifully under oars, and I don't think it cost any more to build than a smaller version, or took appreciably longer.

But despite all of that, I wish I had built the 10 instead. Launching, recovering, and manhandling on the beach are just too much effort. We can manage it, but the whole time I am thinking to myself that the pieces of the boat are too large and heavy. And I am sure that the 10 would have been large enough for our needs as a tender.

I think a sleeved leg-o-mutton rig is as simple as they come.  Or a sleeved sail with a boom.  

I don’t like balanced lug (or standing lug, as shown in the photo) rigs because they require a 4:1 downhaul, to keep the luff tight in all conditions.  Any time you have a 4:1 system on your boat, you can’t call it “simple” (in my opinion).