Dinghy Advice

K.J

I am new to the forum, thanks to Chick Ludwig, and am looking for some advice on a possible build.  Chick and I are going to be working on a Moccasin Double Canoe with my grandson over the winter and I have been talking him into helping me build a small dinghy of my own possibly.

I really love the CS 20 MKIII but have no place to build something like that and I don't want to invest that much time a $$$ into the project.  So my fall back plan is to build a 10-12 ft dinghy that I can use as a simple learning boat and possibly a small tender to my one day purchase of a coastal cruiser.  

Here are my thoughts.  I love the spindrift as a tender and have looked at several builds.  I don't know that I want a nesting option because I like the seating area of the standard version.  I went through the gentleman's build from Manassas, VA and that would be ideal in my mind.  I want the ability to row, sail, or have an outboard.  He had issues with the zippered sail and lowering it for getting back to the docks, but he really is the only person I could find that has brought up this issue.  Any other thoughts on smaller boats I should look at from B&B to accomplish this task?

I will suggest taking a fair look at B&B’s Core Sound 15, the smallest of the cat ketch designs. I thought the build (from a full kit) was enjoyable and sailing it is even better. It’s light enough to push around the yard and I pull it with my Toyota Yaris. 

I’ve had in mind people-wondering-about-building-a-boat when adding posts to my blogs:

74E9930B-248E-41D4-8E66-1DBFE43BB17F.thumb.png.18cc54006e7e32ad00647063e9fe8237.png

Feel free to connect with me.  I also guided a 9th grade girl in making her own Spindrift 10 (from a kit.)

I had a nice little cruise with Chick at last year’s Mess-About. Stopping in at this year’s event would be a great way to help you make a decision.  

It sounds like a Spindrift might foot the bill, especially if it may become a tender to a cruising boat.

I would not build a nesting version unless storage is a real issue.  Whether that is nested storage on deck of the cruiser, or in the garage/shed/wherever. The layout of the original version is much better. A Spindrift tows extremely well.  I would put a few pounds, some times a bag of garbage, in the stern to get it to squat a little while towing.  Otherwise it would try to pass my Renegade in a following sea.

My Spindrift 9N was a tender for 8 years or so, and now it is my excercise rowboat.  17 years and counting.

@PadrePointThanks for the suggestion.  I have a looked at those, but I always do this to myself and bootstrap up for a larger vessel.  I am trying to keep myself from doing that, because I know myself.  I have gone through your entire build with The Weezer and it has been inspiring.  I am a good carpenter, but building a boat is a different animal, so I am thankful for Chick's guidance on this potential project.

@HirilondeI have been looking at the 12, but would consider the 10 or 11 as well.  Again, in my world bigger is always better.  I see so many that are set up as nesting units, but I suspect that if I started doing passages, I would look for a different option.  Of course maybe my boat would have davits to lift it on board, but I doubt it.  If I wanted to sail mostly solo, but possibly with 2 adults and a child I figured the 12 would have better capacity and potentially more room to stretch out.  Let me know your thoughts about how your 9N was used.

Bigger is better, until it is a tender.  I once had 4 medium/smaill adults and some stuff for a row out to the mooring. I felt safe, but rowing that deep in the water was a bit of a chore. My crusing boat was 27'.  I could fit the Spindrift nested on the fore deck inverted and tack no problem.  I used a high cut clew 135% genoa there were no fouling issues.  But after proving it worked, I never did it again. For coastal cruising, among islands and such, towing is just so much less work. I stowed the spars, board, rudder and sail aboard when towing.  The longest mast section for a 9 is 6'. If I were doing this all again, knowing what I know now from experience, I would build a standard 10.

Now if you are building a small sailboat to go sailing in, the 12 sure is bigger.

Damned because it's all related.

I agree with Hirilonde regarding not building a nesting version unless you have a specific need.  There is a big sacrifice in floatation, when going to the nesting version.  I did floatation tests on my Two Paw 8 this summer.  I’ll be adding floatation chambers this winter.

Speaking of my TP8, I live just “down the mountain” from you in Tryon.  I’d be happy to meet you at a lake sometime, and let you look her over, sail & row her, etc.

Also, try to get to the Messabout.  There are many boats to test drive.  You will learn a lot.

BFB3E5F0-6762-43E0-9005-18BBFDCF0B27.jpeg

2CB39A5E-4B57-4800-85E5-BD00701FE663.jpeg

270AA71C-C4BE-44D8-A0FA-A1DEC3875C1A.jpeg

A09C7990-A2AA-404E-B9ED-D3A78DCFA21C.jpeg

This will primarily be used as a sailboat for the next 3-5 years.  The attraction is that I don't have a lot of time due to work, so I want something that I can set up fast and get on the water.  My Tanzer takes 35-40 minutes to set up on my own and then at the closest lake I can't use a motor.  To get to a large lake I have to drive for an hour.  I want to use this to be able to get out on the water more often and join our small local sailing club in Asheville.  I would like to have my larger boat in the next 3-5 years, but in the mean time.  I want to work on sailing skills, coursework for getting my offshore certification and eventually get a charter boat to test my skills before jumping in on my own used boat.  I have a plan, but it is hard to figure out where to start some times.  Most of all I want to have some fun on the water.

@Don SilsbeI would love to get to the Messabout, but it will not happen this year.  I am working on a certification at work and have an exam on 11/5 and all of my time is dedicated to that right now.  Speaking of that I have to get back to my class.  Probably next year for the Messabout.

I think whatever approach you decide you would have the skill to make it happen.  For me, the real key to gaining needed skills was going through Alan’s video series (on B&B’s CS15 page if you haven’t seen them yet) in which he demonstrates a LOT of the building processes for B&B boats. 
And, good luck with certifications. ?

If it were me, I’d join that nice little sailing club now.  Lake Julian is a nice little lake.  Then, I’d buy an old beater temporary daysailer, just to get on the water fast.  If you start building one (which I LOVE doing), you’re gonna lose a whole year.  That’s my bad advice for the week!

What Don said!  (lots of free advice on this forum). If your Tanzer is a 16, with some pre-rigging you can get rigging time down to less than 30 minutes, and if the sailing club has parking the boat can be left rigged on the trailer and you can put on the sails and be in the water quickly. I did that with my Tanzer 16 and was sailing more quickly than for any boat I have owned since.

It would be really great if I could get storage at Lake Julian.  This year when I checked it was full, so I will continue to try, but plan on using the Tanzer to get out on the water while I build the new boat. 

Based on the feedback, the standard version would be the winner hands down.  Good to know that I could tow the boat with little issue at some point.  However, I suspect that after I get more experience and a few years down the road my needs may change.  If I am going to take the time to build a boat I plan on keeping it for a long time and would love to get the grandkids on it to teach them as well.

Here is a question for those who have built one of these.  Would there be enough room in the rear near the transom to drop in a cutout for a cooler or fuel tank?  I have a penchant for storage places so that nothing is without a place, also in the event of a capsize I don't want to lose everything.A6ADAB28-C19D-4D6D-82D5-92A8F4818E3A.thumb.jpeg.55146be6c4afed59e330eefbadfc611c.jpeg

Well, I like the way you think!  But coolers tend to be a bit heavy for these small boats.  And my Yeti weighs as much as a large dog.  But anything is possible, within reason.  The lads at B and B have come up with some nifty  self-sealing hatches for those seat tanks.  But the simplest way to go is with an Armstrong hatch.  These work like a champ.  B and B might even carry them.  I have both on my Bay River skiff.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/armstrong-nautical-round-watertight-compression-deck-plates

1E5F07F8-96DD-4B58-83BA-CECD50BFCA56.jpeg

A212087C-401A-4B75-B0EF-0731EE1EAF9B.jpeg

89FB459F-B0E2-4B24-9178-B3793F556478.jpeg

1AA57FCC-95C9-41E1-8929-A5DCD4E98F07.jpeg

I was thinking about the smallest Yeti, not what was in the picture.  Yes, they can get pretty heavy.  Those hatches would be the ticket to create storage under the seats and I assume that they maintain the flotation properties and keep things dry.

Don it looks like you have two rowing positions in the two paw.  Not ever having owned a row boat before is that for when/if you had another passenger in the boat?

That’s right.  When someone is in the stern, I move to the bow.

Yes, they are airtight.  Most of the boats include these in their builds.  It helps if you are good at origami.  LOL  They are a little complicated.  But I like them so much that I added them to my rower.

0D75BD70-46B1-45E4-8B34-12810A858A48.jpeg

CB32D428-6BF8-4FEB-B3AF-91D35BA06AF5.jpeg

6652C59B-8E37-4C00-B85C-235DD94E98AF.jpeg

Even a Spindrift is a big commitment, and I agree that the advice of getting on the water now with a cheap boat ready to go boat is good advice. There's a short window where kids have your attention and you can miss it.

As for "bigger is better" I'm not sure I agree. Build an 11 or 12 and it's heavier and harder to handle, and in some cases the beam on the mother ship might not let it be on davits. I think  sizing for your average group (you and your grandson) is the way to go and will give you a better boat, easier to handle and rig, that you can use in the future. I built an 11N and wish I just built a 10 for all the reasons others stated. There is a picture of a Spindrift in the back of a van squeezed between the fender wells. I can assure you it wasn't an 11!  I had to get a trailer for fine as cartopping isn't practical.

I have spent some time talking to Chick and realistically this would not end up being a permanent tender and I would likely end up with an inflatable.  I really want this to be a training boat, row boat, and to be able to throw my 2.5 Suzuki on it to putz around when camping.  I want it to be simple to rig to maximize enjoyment and I do plan on having a dedicated trailer for it.

Another question for the group, has anyone used Sailtrack and a lugged sail for the Spindrift?  I have seen some other modifications by removing the zipper and using lacing, but Sailtrack seems really nice.  I understand that the mast might not be able to be segmented but that would not be a deal breaker since I will have a trailer.