Lapwing #27 Lula

Kennneee

• 2 weeks later...

Today I flipped Lula over to have a look at her upright.  The hull has been primed and is pretty much ready for the final finish.  Pretty pleased with what I am seeing.  I decided to use System Three Pennant primer and waterborne LP. This is an updated version of the older product WR- LPU.  I have used their primer in the past and it is nice stuff to work with.  I am hoping the Pennant LP finish is a good.  I used Alexseal on Rosie and it is a great product but I am taking a break from some toxics and also don’t want to have complaints from the neighbors here.  That stuff really smells.

I am trying to decide if the sole should be coated with a non skid.  Thinking about Kiwigrip.  Good stuff and easy to apply.   My original plan was to use the LP finish coat and use a coarse roller and hope that is rough enough to prevent sliding around.  Any thoughts out there?  What have you used on your builds?

The inside of Lula is going to take some sanding.  As careful as I try to be, I always have cured epoxy  drips to sand when I do this kind of work.  Not the most pleasant part of the building process!  I plan to put a small filet between the planks on the inside to keep water from accumulating.  Lots of filleting and glass taping should keep me busy for a little while.  

46624597-0D9D-42C2-8221-7DDB25B260CF.jpeg

44FC8DF3-CC39-444F-9ED9-2B1F0D5BF032.jpeg

D2C41267-18FC-420C-90E0-A7E0E8D39490.jpeg

818D428A-136F-4FA9-AD1B-8779DD15A451.jpeg

6C2D1A7D-2978-4CA8-B0C5-6E953A4F89C8.jpeg

BD16E7F8-483E-4A7F-9B54-490386F158B7.jpeg

My hull is the 'old' System 3 WR LPU. It isn't nearly as glossy as solvent based LPUs, but for a classic look boat I like it better than high gloss.  It has stood up well.  Doing large surfaces with the stuff is  tricky.  It sets up really fast and is hard to keep a wet edge, even with 2 people (1 rolling and 1 tipping). But because you can do one plank at a time it really isn't an issue on the Lapwing. I used a small diameter roller and tipped with a 2" brush. If you think there will be an issue going directly to the next plank, switch to the other side and come back when it is dry to the touch. Check your instructions, but the old stuff had a 24 hour hot recoat time, even though it was dry to the touch in very little time.

At first I did the interior with it as well.  I left my boat open at a marina for a couple years.  The small puddles that didn't drain through the bailer and sat for a while caused pealing in the bilge. I switched to 1 part poly for the interior.

Looking good!

22 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

My hull is the 'old' System 3 WR LPU. It isn't nearly as glossy as solvent based LPUs, but for a classic look boat I like it better than high gloss.  It has stood up well.  Doing large surfaces with the stuff is  tricky.  It sets up really fast and is hard to keep a wet edge, even with 2 people (1 rolling and 1 tipping). But because you can do one plank at a time it really isn't an issue on the Lapwing. I used a small diameter roller and tipped with a 2" brush. If you think there will be an issue going directly to the next plank, switch to the other side and come back when it is dry to the touch. Check your instructions, but the old stuff had a 24 hour hot recoat time, even though it was dry to the touch in very little time.

At first I did the interior with it as well.  I left my boat open at a marina for a couple years.  The small puddles that didn't drain through the bailer and sat for a while caused pealing in the bilge. I switched to 1 part poly for the interior.

Looking good!

System three says their new version, Pennant is easier to apply.  I will let you know how it goes.  The problem with 2 part LP not reacting well to prolonged immersion is another reason to skip it in the cockpit and go with something like the TotalBoat non skid that Paul mentioned or KiwiGrip, etc.

The only real down side to any non-skid surface is keeping it clean.  I made floor boards for my Lapwing.  They are very thin (5/16" thick on 1/2" sleepers). They are only in the aft part of the cockpit.  The forward part twists too much. Floor boards are good for keeping you feet out of the small puddle that forms magically from completely unknown water sources.

1 hour ago, Hirilonde said:

The only real down side to any non-skid surface is keeping it clean.  I made floor boards for my Lapwing.  They are very thin (5/16" thick on 1/2" sleepers). They are only in the aft part of the cockpit.  The forward part twists too much. Floor boards are good for keeping you feet out of the small puddle that forms magically from completely unknown water sources.

Dave- That sounds like the most elegant solution.  I think Peter Bachelor did something similar on his Lapwing.  On Rosie we used KiwiGrip and it works well but the cockpit often looked lousy with dirt.  We used this eventually and it solved the problem.

https://www.recreonics.com/product-category/deck-equipment/flooring/dri-dek-non-slip-flooring/ 

This is a great product and looks decent.  I also used it in the forward anchor well.  That said, on a Lapwing your floor board idea would be the best way to go.

Ken

The bulkheads are fileted and taped. Got the first coat of epoxy on the inside of the hull yesterday. Centerboard trunk glassed inside, etc.  I have the tabernacle bulkhead fitted and ready to install. Today I will start to assemble the hatches.  Now a gazillion details to finish.  

I marked the waterline  with a laser so when I flip her over again I can apply some epoxy/graphite to the bottom. 

5CDAE147-8C8C-4BAE-B9E8-244BDD836419.jpeg

BE2E2B0A-3A2C-4A83-A7DD-AD3F30AEFC9E.jpeg

6F7FA6E7-2389-431D-AA35-91FF8429F299.jpeg

F4280023-CE42-4A33-A78C-402469993FBD.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I got a chance to glue the seat tops down on Lula.  The hatches are installed and I should be able to get the center board trunk in very soon. The hatches took a bit longer than I would have thought.  Seeing the seats in feels like a milestone. The carlins are complete and ready to be installed.  I have the parts made for the tabernacle and installing that is near the top of the “to do” list.  Any thoughts on a mast tube for the mizzen?  I am inclined to NOT make one and go with a traditional mast step. Any of you out there that have experience stepping your mizzen masts please chime in.   I hope to flip her back over in a week or so and begin painting the hull.  Still lots to do!

78893010-B4D9-4867-A352-1FD55C3C1B0E.jpeg

8BA1AB6F-A2C1-4FB6-B449-883DF0494FE0.jpeg

71F3D4D0-9D4E-4EF0-B0E7-75B7E2935A11.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kennneee said:

Any thoughts on a mast tube for the mizzen?  I am inclined to NOT make one and go with a traditional mast step. Any of you out there that have experience stepping your mizzen masts please chime in.

I didn't make a mizzen tube on my CS17 and had a classic mast step.

I wouldn't on a lapstrake boat from the aesthetic point of view.

The mizzen mast was very easy to raise/step without one.

Cheers

Peter HK

• 1 month later...

Time to head back to British Columbia. Taking off in a few hours with Lula in tow.  It will be hard leaving the sun and heading into the rain.  Lula is unfinished but getting close.  A bit over 1400 miles and I will have her in my shop to get finished.  Sails are ordered.  More soon.

8E887EE4-3E5C-406C-94A3-AC91E39775D7.jpeg

0639E0AF-C668-4673-BCDD-B219AB442CAA.jpeg

16692657-4B29-4456-9350-F22AAA8F57B9.jpeg

9939BAB5-01E1-4F7A-B378-E6415821A598.jpeg

• Like 2

As we all know, life is an adventure.  Some of these adventures we can do without.  We had a great trip to Portland, Oregon from San Diego with Lula obediently following behind.  I was impressed with how well the boat towed.  When we got off the freeway in Portland our transmission made loud clunks when shifting.  Thank goodness Luanne’s sister lives 2 minutes from where the problem began.  So, we have spent a couple of extra days here waiting for mechanics to return from the Easter weekend.  The car is in the shop and hopefully we will get some good news, as in the problem is easily repaired.  We were flogging our van pretty hard with 2 surfskis on the roof, a full load in the rear and of course Lula following behind.  Not to mention the hills and the extra ballast in my right foot.

A few days before we left I had U-Haul install a hitch and wiring.  Long story short the ham handed Neanderthals destroyed the wiring harness.  Luckily I knew of a good repair shop and they were able to get a replacement harness and get it installed before we took off.  Just the beginning of this adventure.

When we were in San Diego I began shopping for a trailer. There were not many available and I wound up buying a new one over the phone.  It is a Karavan 1250.  Looked at the website and it looked like it would work fine.  The catalog shows leaf springs  but when I went to pick it up it wound up having a torsion suspension axle.  For me it was a pleasant surprise.  Lula seems to ride nicely on the trailer.

Hopefully we can get on the road again soon.  Looking forward to some boredom. 

5AE88E6B-2B48-447C-B059-556E7C1EE57F.jpeg

833B60C5-8D09-48A2-95D3-9A70AB22BAC4.jpeg

• Like 2

I guess I was much more fortunate than you.  I hauled Uinen from RI to FL behind my Toyota Tacoma (small footprint, 4 cylinder). Uinen was loaded with teak and Okoume ply, several hundred pounds, 2 Kudzu kayaks on my lumber rack and the bed full of misc stuff. I even had  to drive through NYC, which scared the hell out of me, but made it without incident. Good luck with the rest of the trip.

To

• Like 1