Spartan Bronze Motor Mount on CS20.3

Hello-

I was wondering if anyone had ever used one of these bronze motor mounts on a CS20.3 or similar boat?

https://www.spartanmarine.com/all-products/compete-outboard-motor-mount ?

It looks kind of cool, and the other motor mount that I ordered is out of stock with no shipping date, so I'm considering other options.

This mount seems to expect only a slightly raised gunnel above the aft seat.  Since the transom stiffener on the CS20.3 is a little taller, I think I would have to either cut it down, or put a riser under the brass pad to elevate the angle, or both.

-e

1380127-XX.jpg

spartan_marine_outboard_motor_mount_bronze__18987.1409832096.jpg

OutboardMotorMount-group.jpg

You may want to reenforce your aft deck, or at least add a good sized backer for that.  The load is to rip it up and out as well as shear it forward. The nice thing about that style is you can easily remove everything 'cept the small part that mounts semi-permanently. I like it when indications of a motor can go away.  The down side is that you can't lock your motor on as the mount and motor can be removed together and the height doesn't adjust. Tilting your motor is the only adjustment you have. 

Oh, and I like bronze.  Gonna keep this item in mind should I ever go auxilliary.

@Hirilonde - Yup, I'll put a big backer on it.  The lack of adjustment , for better or worse, is no different from the other removable motor mount I was looking at.

@Steve - I have a really small outboard (Suzuki 2.5) which I like to take off and stow in a locker when I'm not using it, which is typically as soon as I get away from the dock.  This might be a niche case!

• Like 1

I like the mount, very nice!  Bronze is practically the perfect metal on boats. On your plan of removing the motor,   I made a multipurpose socket on the transom of my CS20.3 with the intention of removing the 2.5 Suzuki when underway.  I think that happened exactly twice, once still in the marina for a week long trip.   Even the 2.5 Suzuki is heavy hanging over the transom, and the chance of dropping it or gouging the deck/sole with the scag.  Just didn’t work for me! 

If you are motoring into waves, you are likely to find that the mount and motor will move up and down, perhaps dangerously.  I'm guessing that if the mount comes up X degrees, it might come out of the deck bracket.  Is there a way to lock it down?  If not, explore adding one.  I had some issues with a motor that came up and over and out while motoring upwind into waves last year.  Not pleasant.  Did I mention the rocks?  I have beefed up everything and added a "preventer" system.  And I'd guess I'd say don't say you'll always plan on sailing upwind in those conditions.  That's what I thought, too.  Then it became necessary to motor upwind (or just pull in for the day).

• Like 1

I think the discussion about main-sheets proves everyone is different. I like the look of a clean transom as much as the next guy, and if I lived in an area where long runs out of a marina down an inlet weren't reality, I'd stow my motor. I'm with Jay. Where I sail I like having the motor at the ready just in case.

Also if that thing is really $615 bucks, I'd pass. My mount cost me a sheet of luan to make a pattern and some southern yellow pine reinforcing. I can leave my Suzuki 2.5 long shaft on and just as easily put it away. I trailer with it hanging on the transom with no worries. Best two pics before I put the rear deck on:326523295_2017-09-2507_27_35.thumb.jpg.16f7420be0726075b8f4c886ca9019c7.jpg1812637992_2016-05-1121_47_49.thumb.jpg.7842699f879b7578c19de55f5c4f0576.jpg

And finished with motor up:

466366551_2019-08-1418_56_36.thumb.jpg.0d71e62844d57b96591d12710f53cfa0.jpg

• Like 2