Lug rig set up

Sandgroper

Screenshot_20210701_212710_com_ebay.gumtree_au.thumb.jpg.4053a7d17d439bc162da9c2e1a623907.jpgI was wondering if their is any further information on the lug set up.  I would be happy enough to pay for this additional sail plan as it seems to fit my brief perfectly and is a sail type that i am familiar with.

On July 10 2006 Graham posted this on the discussion page (https://messing-about.com/forums/topic/4467-balanced-lug-rig/?

Screenshot_20210522_200156_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.6c0a48b8dc8ce2297c1e74b249f99bf0.jpg

The photo above is of a Core Sound 20 that has just come up for sale in Australia, it seems to use a rig inspired by Graham's line drawing (although she is rigged as a schooner not a ketch).

Kind regards,

Graham Parton

I wonder if the schooner sail plan is just the result of someone putting up the sails in the wrong positions.

I built my CS15 to have a lug yawl sail plan.  The configuration works well for dinghy cruising with a clear cockpit and convenient tent poles.  I'm not sure what kind of information you're looking for, but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

BobbnbMessabout2017.thumb.jpg.8bb3fae382bb5fe61ab2bf7610be00ed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I learned to sail on lug sail boats. However these were dipping lugs, with only a single yard at the top of the mast. A very practical rig for a working boat- all spars are shorter than the boat, no standing rig. Historically used for fishing boats; once you reached the fishing grounds, you could drop and stow the sail/yard, and had a lovely clean working platform. Minimum materials needed to build.

The downside is that it's impossible to sail this rig singlehanded, and on the larger boats putting in a tack takes a good couple of minutes. But the teamwork needed to do this is all part of the fun.