Spindrift 10N Build - Two Bits

PiedTyper

Regarding fiberglass sheathing. I rarely use it on canoes, dinghies, small boats unless they will be dragged on the ground. It adds little strength over plywood, only some protection from "wear and tear". I did use it on my 15 ft. Old Codger cruising boat as it often gets pulled up on beaches. I usually do sheath bigger boats. My method is to use 6 oz. cloth on the sides and 10 oz. on the bottoms, both overlapping at the chines. I eliminate the strip of cloth taping there.

• Like 1

When considering paint type and color schemes, you might want to keep my experience in mind.  I painted the exterior a dark blue, and the interior a light gray.  I used Interlux Brightsides, a one-part polyurethane.  When I have nested the two parts,  the dark wiped of onto the light paint.  D05521C8-0972-43CB-A505-69CA80F78BE5.thumb.jpeg.e5d253c6db9de954f9964a960653074c.jpeg

There are also places on the rear seat tanks where the light gray has worn through to primer.  

Here are my lessons learned:

1.  Use only two-part polyurethane for this application.  The boat takes a beating when nested and while nesting.  Use the hard stuff!

2. Always place old terrycloth towels between the two nested parts.

3. When building the aft seat tanks, make doubly sure that there is at least 3/4” clearance between them and the forward half of the nested hull (after the installation of the keel strip).

4. Consider a lighter exterior color.  (Never use a dark color for the interior, as it makes the surfaces very hot, when exposed to the sunlight.)