repair advice on CS 17

tfrei

I was putting on the main mast on my CS 17 and stepped back on to the seating area of the boat and heard a crack.  See the damage below.  It is on the step area just forward of the centerboard trunk.  I was planning on sanding the area down and putting down a strip of fiberglass and epoxy and maybe wrap it around the edge.  Any further ideas or advice for this repair? 

IMG-0327.jpg

I'll second  David's advice. I don't think a strip of fibreglass over the top would solve the problem.

A piece glued to the bottom of the seat, covering the split area by at least a few inches, would be your best option.  Then, perhaps you could send back the top of the seat, scrape out along the crack to open it up a bit more, wet it with epoxy, and then fill it with a fairly runny mix of thickened epoxy. Wait an hour or two, and scrape off any excess so that you don't have to sand it off later. You might need to repeat the process, perhaps with some sanding filler instead of a glue filler, and then sand again, before coating the area with clear epoxy, and then repainting.

Peter

• Like 1

tfrei, 

I suggest you also inspect the end of the support piece that runs under the front of the plywood step—where it butts up against the centerboard trunk. It might be that that end is loose and sagged, causing the plywood seam to pop under load. Just a guess from looking at the picture. A great thing about the boat is that there isn’t anything you can’t fix.