A few Princess 22 progress pics

Charlie Jones

Of course, now the boat is upside down again, getting ready for glassing. The motor well is cut out, the centerboard slot is cut and rounding is underway on the chines.

Being something over 101 degrees in the shop today isn't helping my working speed. IT'S HOT!!!!

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

You know, the heat could get to Charlie, affecting his judgement, and he might sell the boat to someone! :wink:

I doubt it, but I can still dream he was building it for me! You'll have to remember to take lots of pics of the launch, and give us a full report. After seeing the beautiful job Charlie did on the Weekender, I'm anxious to see pics of the Princess!

Great job Charlie,

I'm impressed that you're working in this heat. It' was 108 in the shade on my back porch yesterday at 6:30 PM. I have not touched my CS-17 in three weeks due to temps of over a hundred degrees. My wife floored me yesterday when she suggested I go out and buy a small room A/C window unit for my porch "shop". I think she is ready for me to go back outside and quit bothering her with "Boat Talk". :wink:

Anyway, your level of workmanship is an inspiration and I hope to achieve about half your quality level on my boat.

Roger

Working in the heat is a serious thing Roger. We get this hot only when the winds come from the SW, which brings the air right off the Mexican deserts. Fortunately the humidity is a bit lower in these conditions, but temps over 100 are still very hot.

I share a building with a sailboat shop and we keep five gallons of water in the refirgerator there. He and I normally use about three of those jugs per day when the temps are high like this. Plus when I get home I normally down 2 to 3 glasses of iced tea before I go out to do anything here.

I keep a thermometer hanging on the tool rack behind my workbench. When the temp there hits 105 I'm under orders from my wife to close down:) And I do! She used to work with me in the woodshop until four years ago when she suffered a bout of heat exhaustion. Although she is a good bit better now, her internal thermostat STILL doesn't function correctly and she has trouble handling heat. I can't afford that happening to me so I'm really careful.

I try to do the heavier work during the morning hours, and then around 2 or so, I knock off and run errands or just go home. We do have a 4 foot fan blowing air into the shop- without that it would be totally unbearable in there. We call it "Gale" cause it blows a gale:)

I will say working with epoxy is really a different thing when everything is near 100 degrees. You learn to work with smaller batches and learn to work FAST!!:)

Be careful Charlie! The heat will get to you.

I had to go up in the attic a couple weeks ago, I went up at 7am, before it got toooooooo hot. was up there for about 45 minutes running new electrical cable. About an hour later I thought I had the flu. Couldn't eat, tossing cookies, everything. That lasted 24 hours before I got back to normal. Can't think of anything else it could be except heat exhaustion.

I will wait until until the temps come back down below 99 (and until I have some spare time... work is killing me! and the honey-do list is too long)

BTW, that is why I always use the plastic cups for epoxy. With RAKA's slow, I have less than 30 minutes before it sets off. With the fast, at 100 degrees I have about 5 minutes before it melts the cup. So there is no point in mixing more than an ounce of the stuff.

I aught to set up a rig to hold the stuff in ice water... that might slow it down a bit.