Lightest Coating

Yankee Dog

Since I am prone to experimentation, I may try Locktite PL Roof and Flashing  Sealant.  I did an experiment and it held water until it evaporated.  Dried to a rubbery finish that held up to a screwdriver.  I could wad it up with no cracking or delamination.  Black in color and will hold up to UV.   

Long term. ??‍♂️☠️?

I tried the PL construction adhesive.  It worked well, but my paint would not adhere.  So the boat still floats and paddles well, but the paint looks like poop. 

The black flashing goo does not require painting.  It dried to a non tacky rubbery finish.   my test found it to be unmarked after repeated stabbing with a screwdriver and totally flexible and waterproof.  

It is certainly more difficult to apply than pant. On the other hand t only requires a single coat.  Oh well, still undecided.  I have until the skin arrives and I sew a t on to decide.  What do I have the lose beside $140 for another skin. ☠️??‍♂️?

On 5/17/2021 at 7:40 PM, benhardt57 said:

I hope it works out for you, but this approach is surprising when the title of your post is "lightest coating". I'm thinking it ends up heavier than Rustoleum.

-Ben

Im afraid you might be right.  The rustoleum will take about what, 1/2 gallon.  Yes, no, maybe....?

I estimate 2 or 3 tubes of the goop?   

Decisions Decisions...... 

Look what I found.   

Refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) where it should tell you the percent weight solids of the paint. Suppose the % Wt solids is 60% and the weight of the paint is 9.0 lbs/gal, then the weight of the solid paint will be 5.4 lbs/gal. If you intend to spray apply the coating to the aircraft using an HVLP spray gun, you can guesstimate that your transfer efficiency will be about 50%. In other words for every gallon of paint that you use, only 2.7 lbs of solid paint is deposited on the aircraft.  The remainder falls to the floor or goes into the filters of a spray booth. Hence, if you know approximately how many gallons of paint you will need to purchase, you can estimate the weight of the solid paint that will be deposited.