A new Lapwing 16 on the water

I’m really not sure that it would even work on a Lapwing or a CS17.  The foot of the sails (are they “feet?”) are lower to the boat than on a Nonesuch.  And then there’s all that dangling twine.  But it’s fun to consider all the options, and to try different things like velcro “hoops”.

Don, have you thought about using parrel beads on the loops you use on your main?

You said that you didn't like the knots. Thinking back to when I was water-skiing as a teenager, we used hollow, floating ropes, and made a loop by feeding the end through the outside of the rope into the centre about a foot from the end, and then slid the end further into the rope. Tension stopped it from coming out, or we could pass the end back to the outside of the rope and then feed the bitter end of the rope right through it, to stop it from sliding at all.

You could do that sort of thing, and combine it with some parrel beads and a toggle to make a quick-release loop, like my sketch.

For Pitthirrit, I'm planning on lowering the snotter below the foot of the sail, still attached to the wishbone, furling the sails, and then standing the wishbone up against the sail, using a strap to keep it in place. We're sailing again next Sunday if the weather cooperates, and I'll take a photo then.

Peter

loop-and-parrel-beads.jpg

After writing this, I wondered if there was anything about loops and toggles online, and it turns out that "soft shackles" are not new ?

Have a look at the video on https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/softshackles-38323

I like soft shackles, and use them in several places on my boat.  I had even considered making about 35 or so to use them for sail attachment to the mast.  But it would be tricky to keep a controlled gap between the luff and the mast.  Parrel beads  work great, but I don’t like the look of them.  I've got the white 3/4” velcro now, and want to try that. It should make for a clean look, and give me the adjustment I’m looking for.  I’m under the gun to complete some other projects right now, so this is on the back burner for the moment.  As I said before, tinkering with different setups is part of the fun.  I’m looking forward to seeing more photos of your boat.

• 2 weeks later...

We got out on the water again on Sunday. Still not a great deal of wind,  but more than the first sail...

The photo shows how I store the booms whilst the sails are furled. The snotters are released until the head of the booms are below the foot of the sail, and then the sails are furled, and then the boom is held to the mast by the shock-cord equivalent of a soft shackle.

IMG_4888.jpg

Here's some footage of us (slowly) sailing around another boat on the lake...

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 6:21 PM, Peter Batchelor said:

Hi Don,

I like the idea of nylon sleeves to cover the sails. I might have to try that.

Do you have any photos of your current lacing system?

Peter

Us old Laser sailors used webbing with Velcro to attach the clew to the boom - the real Laser version is made from Dynema webbing rather than nylon, so stronger but more particularly, it slides better. Some use silicon spray as well. That might be worth a try for mast ties.... I was going to use tracks on my boat, but thinking about it, maybe there is something to be said for ties...

On 5/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, Peter Batchelor said:

We got out on the water again on Sunday. Still not a great deal of wind,  but more than the first sail...

The photo shows how I store the booms whilst the sails are furled. The snotters are released until the head of the booms are below the foot of the sail, and then the sails are furled, and then the boom is held to the mast by the shock-cord equivalent of a soft shackle.

IMG_4888.jpg

Here's some footage of us (slowly) sailing around another boat on the lake...

Cheers, Peter

That sure is one very pretty boat...! Love that cream colour - do you remember what it was?

On 5/27/2021 at 10:09 AM, Murray said:

That sure is one very pretty boat...! Love that cream colour - do you remember what it was?

Murray, the paint was Aquacote, from Boatcraft Pacific. The colour is Sand. You can see a colour chart at https://boatcraft.com.au/informationpages/aquacotecolourcard.htm.

I’ve used Aquacote on a couple of boats now and I am very happy with it.

Peter

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

The weather has been great in Melbourne, and I'm looking forward to getting a bit more sailing done over the next few months.

Earlier this week we were able to go for a sail in company with my old CS17.

You can see a video of both boats sailing, at https://www.batchelors.net/boats/building-a-b-b-yacht-designs-lapwing-16

Unfortunately, the footage was just from our respective boats, so there isn't any that shows us together...

I really like the CS17, but I think the Lapwing is a far prettier boat...

Peter