Core Sound Reefing

Curt Varner

I have a circa 2008-2009 CS17 Mark I.  Unless I overlooked it, the plans call for three lines leading back from the main mast to the cockpit (halyard, downhaul, snotter).  For taking in reefs without leaving the helm is it possible to install additional downhauls for the first and 2nd reefs, or is there a better method?

Additional downhauls led back to the cockpit is good. At least one additional downhaul is good. You can save some clutter and hardware by running downhaul lines through the same deck eye and use the same jam cleat.

You can add additional outhauls to the sprit to trim the clew without having to detach the clew.

Here's a photo that shows it as well as anything, I guess.  The lazy blue and red lines going up out of the top of the picture are the first and second reef lines, leading to hooks that are placed in cringles as the sails are hoisted.  Ideally I would have led the far side of each line on the far side of the sail but I must have missed that as I was putting the slides on, and in practice it does not seem to make much difference.  You can also see the taut halyard (white w/ blue twist) and snotter (blue) to the right of the mast and the downhaul (white w/ red twist) in a tight triangle just behind the mast, coming out of the clew cringle.  All five lines come down to the deck.  All are led away through bullet blocks that serve as turning blocks, and then through bullseyes, back to the starboard coaming amidships.  You can see the one bullseye has three lines in it (downhaul and two reef lines), but only one of those three will be tight at one time.  Some of the turning blocks are double bullet blocks, some are single.

I use the same color coding for the lines on the mizzen, and the same blue/red coding for the rear reef lines on each sprit.

N57ZePr4yKep6JgBDl94b0SUS4BxaIy5ia6ikklPWTFPtseicg4wHQ9Ag-lf2f-K-oDTof0GaX3z405BDvSQavRkXO_mkEJUZ7wAEqFc9_D-iQgwZtP2OeMQnsEp-v_DuHEmaCbUC6EIA1zUwU5XB98_guFb4cgtj32C1Wrd-eRVJhzHSSZ0ZcGUXgsXlUpSr-Z_f4ggWQHMRL20GiyFebryOdSagdCfD3-HZ5pQu3HYz27ZIWRpDWcYYF75NTwHKPhLeoQc5bzd3CL2-wpwZR8Y20_gWl3WkAaf9tB9cNpqX_aiZ2Hj0D1ydnSSqzsdLYgAczR8qbbt3iY8XfGzwZUQ5sgxORpplF1pKw1W2R_yVddolP7SOhxHW2dDgL-UJUPlifzI5fEJJLrtAq943bSgf1JW0BmfUkub12la1vVQB18d7PjuYzlvNgCwlT6yC4l8cG6fpFjcI23RHjlLDhocaBbiG9WePjdEA_-lukzAJSmruX6-NcEKzRD91fXnS_cL39bHClHcyTT2s5cbfg2jT2OxPq9T1YG2uz-m7ht2F-SD46kDO2qDqcqI9Zdyn71BA2VwhFkh25L9YBOSDBmVLeS-XkJgzxyg-7YLCplHSsjuRCEh535V3SdLDUK9wPNNixALu4Mg-8WWKTrnMlBj5l5TpxRDdrCXI_MIclG6sIL8ymk37y5LI7uuE-FlC3xm2kAIYLh8mbvKLnX8L4I=w469-h625-no?authuser=0

I am not seeing your photos, Paul, and this is the only one I have on your reef lines... well, a reefing line... the downhaul.   Oops, on closer inspection of the photo, the first reefing downhaul is tight and the second (red) is “waiting” for winds to pick up even more. ?
42EFA1A6-1AC9-4438-9590-F80BD3573A91.thumb.jpeg.8ec6a3ad0004ba1c5b9e0024e03a91bf.jpeg

Alan’s YouTube video on Carlita has excellent descriptions of reefing as Graham had set up for his CS17 Mk3.