Home improvement update OT

capt jake

well let's see... All of the floors have been replaced with either Bamboo or carpet. All of the siding is on and painted (including the shop). All of teh interior is painted as well. A new entertainment center has been built out of the left over Bamboo. I am STILL waiting on the tape and texture guy!!!! ARRGG! After he is done I can finish paint in the addition and finish teh Bamboo floor steps into the are and then finish the trim and set the door! :)

I plan on trenching for new service to the shop this weekend. It is a long story, but the previous owner did a horrible job and all of it must be replaced. While I am at it I plan on trenching another 300' to the end of the drive to re-wire the driveway light. I figure about 450' of trenching at 2' deep is in order... wheeeh!

When all is done, maybe I can start to organize the shop, though it looks like I will need to add onto it as well to house all of teh power toys, Arr ARR!! More power!!! as Tim Taylor would say!! :) )

Take care!! :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye!!! All of the above!!! Never dunn!! Should have named the boat that ! Somebody mentioned that; I should have listened!

I am only waiting for the hot tub!! I am hoping for a hot tub. Please a hot tub!! Please, please a hot tub!!!!!!!!

After all of this work, "I DESERVE IT!"!! :) :)

Therfore, I can float little models of different boats and check out their stability!! :) :) Arrr Arr!

I plan on trenching for new service to the shop this weekend. It is a long story' date=' but the previous owner did a horrible job and all of it must be replaced. While I am at it I plan on trenching another 300' to the end of the drive to re-wire the driveway light. I figure about 450' of trenching at 2' deep is in order... wheeeh![/quote']

I have two words for you - "ditch witch" - call your local rental company and pick one up. Pick it up at nine, your trenching will be done by noon.

It may take a while to get a lazy man started but once he gets going, you know it'll be on the most efficient path. And I am a lazy man.

Oh I plan on the ditch witch. They are a life saver. Problem I have is all of the enourmous rock. A glacier passed through here a few years ago and left a mess. :) :)

Yard work?? There is a big project, though I kinda enjoy that part also. I have been puttering around in the yard a little. I will have to do a little after I get done with the electrical; in preparation for a hot tub! Ahhhh, soothing the sore muscles! :)

Barry, wanna come down and pull some weeds? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, you all will be relieved to know that all of teh major renovations are complete and we are onto the moving in and decorating phase. :)

New roof, siding, floors a few windows, doors, concrete patios, LAN and cable network, etc, etc...

It is coming together great! The Bamboo floors are awesome, though they dent somewhat easily. It is kinda taking a naughtical appeal to the decorating. This is a great change from the past and a great union of both of our wishes. :)

We have plants galour throughout the house and I got the spa! ;)

I only have to rewire the intercomm, then the phone to the shop (the former owner didn't know anything about wiring :( ).

After this, maybe I can start putting tools away and getting the shop set up!? :)

Eh Gads!! I just noticed the views on this thread . 1273 views ....is this a record or what? I am amazed as it is an OT topic, not even closely related to boats??? Takling about relativity and glue have seemed to take much more of the fore front...

Frank???? ....

Eh Gads!! I just noticed the views on this thread . 1273 views ....is this a record or what? I am amazed as it is an OT topic' date=' not even closely related to boats??? Takling about relativity and glue have seemed to take much more of the fore front...

Frank???? ....[/quote']

C'mon, Captain sir, there are at least 5 admonishments about getting done with the home improvements and getting that boat in the water. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to remember those ... :wink:

It has certainly got me thinking about bamboo.

My livingroom in the Philippines overhangs the sea at high tide and so we built the floor of slatted split bamboo, because at high tide when the surf is up there would be too much lift.

Yes it is a bit moist sometimes but I can fish from my window!

Bought a truckload of 10'' dia x 40' soaked it in the sea for 3 weeks to kill the 'book book' (Bamboo borers) and then skined and split it by hand and laid it green. Once this stuff seasons it is hard as rock and smooth as glass.

Now if you were to build a vaccum formed epoxy bamboo hull it would be light and just about indestructable. Might need to steam it a bit to bend it though.

I'm thinking about decking and seat tops for my CS17.

If only it were rigid enough for masts.