CS 17 motor selection

Curt Varner

13 hours ago, Thrillsbe said:

The acid test for power is heading up into a stiff breeze to raise your sails.  

Not for me it isn't. If the wind is blowing my auxilliary will be buried in a locker.  I just wanna get home when there is no wind. Or maybe use it to crawl around exploring tight places.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:38 AM, Curt Varner said:

Thanks Joe, I will check out the full specs on the long shaft and if it looks like a fit that's how I'll go.

Off topic, but I see you are summering (love that term) on Narragansett.  I am up in Hopkinton, MA.  Any suggestions for CS17 launching sites on the Narragansett or surrounding areas would be much appreciated.  Curt.

I was in Ashland up until 2 years ago.  For Narragansett launches, Haines Park in East Providence is great,  Bristol boat ramp, Newport.  

Don't overlook Boston Harbor, and Salem, MA.  There are a couple of great ramps in Quincy/Weymouth that give you access to the Harbor.  For a local launch, Wallum State Park will give you plenty of running room for a nice sail.  

I am glad someone chimed in with some information on launch sites. There is a boat ramp less than a mile from our home and that ramp at Galilee Rhode Island is the only ramp I have ever launched from.  The Galilee boat ramp gives you access to Point Judith Pond, which is relatively small but quite nice. There is a breachway which gives you access to the ocean.

• Like 1

Narragansett Bay is the best small boat sailing on the east coast. David gave you some ideas closest to you Curt.The East Passage north to Providence can be busy with ships.  If you are looking for a less busy area East Greenwich has a nice ramp on the EG Cove which accesses the upper West Passage. This was my childhood sailing grounds. If you head towards the town of Narragansett and Joe Anderson, there is a ramp in Wilson Park in North Kingstown. This accessess Wickford Cove and middle West Passage and Jamestown. Once you reach Joe, you have salt pond sailing ( 6 in RI) or out into Block Island Sound.

• Like 1

That is pretty good getting your boat ready for launch before you have leaves on the trees.  The discussion has made me reflect a little on my nearby boat ramp. The Galilee boat ramp has a number of disadvantages for sailing and maybe only one significant advantage.  When you launch at Galilee if you want to head west out to the main channel you must navigate a fixed bridge with a 14 foot vertical clearance That forces you to head east across 1/4 mile of tidal flats. It is doable but local knowledge helps as does having the wind, tide, and or current in your favor. The one major advantage besides being near my summer home is that you have access, as Dave mentioned to Block Island Sound.

I would totally agree with the comments about sailing Narragansett Bay.  The Bay is small enough to be somewhat protected but large enough to be fun to explore, incredibly beautiful, and filled with sailing history. 

On 4/18/2021 at 8:07 PM, Curt Varner said:

Cover comes off mine this weekend.  Let me know if you want to do a rendezvous in Falmouth.  We have some great sailing and great ramps here.  The motor will be essential if we venture out into Nantucket Sound.  We have quite a good current running left, or right.  Rather inconvenient for sailing to the Vineyard.  We are all vaccinated and ready to rumble.  

20117424643_29fe08735d_z (1).jpg

• 1 year later...

my problems with the 3.5 Tohatsu have been resolved.  

There was a clogged and crimped fuel filter in the main line from the tank to the shut off.  the filter is part of the fuel shut off assembly.  replaced, runs awesome.  How the retail seller, and local boatyard missed this defies logic.  Moral of the story, know your boat systems, and be prepared to maintain them .

The fuel filter sits inside the fuel line and is not visible.  

I also removed the EPA plugs and adjusted the low speed jet.  Wow. This motor will get me to the Vineyard now.  (rather sail, but one never knows when the current moves as quick as it does here.) 

Dnjost, I wondered why your were having troubles with the same model that has performed flawlessly for me.   Mine is just fine except for the noise, the little fuel tank, and the two-stroke issue.   

I'm looking now at the EPropulsion Spirit.  Is anyone using one? 

went out into Nantucket Sound yesterday with the masts down (bridge) and the 3.5 upgrade Tohatsu.  6kts,  at 3/4 throttle. went about a mile on a half cup of fuel.  so, figure 4 miles of range with the internal tank.

only using ethanol free from now on.  The inly issue is occasional cavitation due to the pitch and yaw of the unballasted boat in a 2’ chop with frequent encounters with wake thrown by 30’ inboard cruisers.  no issues.  I would do it again, it is easier than pulling the boat onto the trailer and travelling by land to the bridge free ramp.  

Hi Randy, 

I'm using a Epropulsion Spirit. The older version with 1000Wh-battery. I like it very much and am glad that I bought it. As for the battery with its weight, I bought two special extenson cables (allthough they are very expensive) which enable me to put the battery in the cabin under the bunks. So it can fulfill its second job as part of the ballast - and it is out of view from possible thieves. The clamp-thing that normally holds the battery on top of the motor is covered by a wooden "hat" which also is the handle to tilt the motor upwards.

For more details and pictures, you can look up a thread about electric motors in the Main Forum that ran from Sept 2019 to July 2020.

I use a very long set of jumper cables for my extension cord.  The wire gage is extra fat, and they never have gotten even slightly warm.  Connection to the battery is easy.  I clipped the other end off, and connected it to the motor with something suitable.

On 7/11/2022 at 2:36 PM, Randy Jones said:

Dnjost, I wondered why your were having troubles with the same model that has performed flawlessly for me.   Mine is just fine except for the noise, the little fuel tank, and the two-stroke issue.   

I'm looking now at the EPropulsion Spirit.  Is anyone using one? 

I bought an EPropulsion  2 seasons ago for my Spindrift 9’ tender and it has been a great.  Love cruising around nearly silent with the water hitting the hull being mostly what you hear.  For my use it has plenty of range.  Occasionally  I have to spray some contact cleaner on the plug that connects the battery to the motor but that is hardly worth mentioning,  If you buy one, get the padded cases that they offer. The price is reasonable and it makes storing the motor much easier.