Spindrift 9n in the PNW for test?

Jmill050

Hey folks, I’ve been lurking for a few weeks while looking at dinghy options for our Catalina 27, used mostly in the San Juans and Up into BC some. My sister/boat partner built an ‘Elegant Punt’ a few years back that has served us well, but we’re looking for an upgrade. The Punt is just about as big as we would want to put on the foredeck, so it looks like we’re in line for a nesting dinghy. 

Requirements (in order)

- Rows well with medium 2 adults and passably with 3, even with a bit of chop

- Sailable with 2 people and a bit of gear for practical use, fun to sail singlehand round the anchorage 

- preferably stowable amidships under the boom, but at a minimum can fit on the foredeck for longer passage. Towed for shorter legs

I took some VERYYYYY rough measurements via pictures (I live 1.5 hours from the boat) and I believe there is 21” clearance between the hatch and boom. The vang gets in the way if the length is too long while stowed, so the Spindrift 9 looks to be the ticket. Bigger would be nice but I don’t want it to interfere with the main while underway. 

The Ask
- Has anyone tried a spindrift in this location on a Catalina 27? Google has not been helpful.

- is there anyone within a couple hour drive of Seattle with an S9n that would be willing to let me borrow it to test both stowage on the mothership and a quick row? Compensation may include excellent company, frothy beverages, homegrown eggs, airplane rides on a later date....

Ooooh, airplane rides.  Dang, I live in Florida, prolly too far away.

Under the boom sounds like trouble on a small boat.  I had a Pearson Renegade, 27' and my 9N fit well on the fore deck and not at all under the boom.  Though I usually towed it.  As to your other parameters, which were quite like mine, a Spindrift 9N is a superb choice. I have rowed with 4 medium adults, though in a good chop I would not have ventured to. I sailed with 2 often, mostly in harbors with a cocktail and viewing the other boats. I now use mine for mostly rowing. I row 1nm per day, 4 days a week for fun and excercise. My boat is coming up on 17 years old and in excellent condition.

• Like 1

Continuing to store on the foredeck wouldn’t be the end if the world. We rarely have correct wind to sail when doing long days anyways so getting mixed up with the jib wouldn’t be an issue. When we’re sailing it’s leisure mode and we’re towing anyways. But if we’re not space constrained then I’ll build a bigger dinghy. If we get into something rough and the outboard can’t keep up we’d be working under reefed main anyways as there aren’t any small headsails onboard.

I like to pretend the C27 is a real yacht and have mid deck storage but it is still a Catalina. I think I need to just get out there and measure with a mock-up or the real thing. 

I cruised with a high cut 135 soft luff cruising genoa. Tacking was no issue, the sheets would slide over the bottom of the dinghy, nothing to get caught on. I would tow it unless I was over night sailing in open water. My wife did't approve of over night sailing, so it became moot. 

I like knowing I could stow it on deck.  I also liked that I didn't have to.

For anyone viewing this in the future the distance on our Catalina 27 normal height rig from the apex of the hatch to the bottom of the sail cover on the boom was just about 24" even. So while we could have stood off the boat above the hatch, ultimately we decided the visibility was impinged too much by stowing amidships. Therefore expect to hear from me starting a spindrift 10n or 11n this summer or winter.

• Like 1