Curlew FROG--At Last!

Douglas Jacobs

Here is a FROG photo of my Curlew frame taken yesterday and a photo of its partially completed oak coaming.  I was able to put the first coat of tung oil on my completed Curlew frame, ten years after purchasing the plans and many years after assembling the frame with zip ties.  Thanks to my friend Steve Rouse for his help and his woodworking shop.  We built the form for the coaming from the offsets in the book and just have to glue on the lip.  We used 1/8th inch green white oak strips which we sanded with 80 grit paper, then wiped with alcohol before gluing with gorilla glue.  The wood was incredibly flexible, no need for steam bending, but the glue seems to be holding very well in spite of the wood's 20% moisture content.  We considered using G-flex epoxy but the gorilla glue set up in a couple of hours and I was able to plane off and sand off the excess that evening.  We should have made the openings in our coaming form closer to the edge of the form to facilitate using spring clamps and we should have spent more time before the glue up planning to make sure our strips overlapped on the sides of the form rather than at the ends.  

IMG_4128 (2).JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4049.JPG

• Like 3