Belhaven 19 Rigging

Sauduster

Hello All.

Im fairly new to sailing and just bought a recently completed Belhaven 19 from the original builder. He did install some rigging hardware but I believe things could be changed possibly the better. 
Alan from B&B sent me some coresound rigging drawings but I would love to see any pictures anyone might have for the main sail on their Belhaven, especially for main sheet control and reefing from the cockpit.  I plan to do the T X 200 this year and wish to get the rigging set as needed.

Thanks,

Bob

Dallas, TX

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.  There haven't been a lot of B19's built but you'll find they have a dedicated following.  I've owned B19 hull #3 Clementine for about 10 years and would be happy to help you out.  I've attached an old photo of the partially rigged mainsail that shows my 4:1 snotter arrangement.  I did this to reduce the required pulling force to accommodate hand problems - you may not need it but it sure is nice.  

Downhall and reefing lines travel over the cabin top in blocks similar to the snotter sheet and terminate in clam cleats (with clam keepers) at the aft edge of the cabin top. 

Mainsheet fairlead and cam cleat are mounted on the forward side of the mizzen tabernacle per plans.  I thought that arrangement looked awkward at first but it works great. 

I'll look for other photos or perhaps take new ones. 

Great boat for the TX 200.  

20180310_134010.jpg

I was hoping some Core Sound mk3 owners would chime in.  There have been some clever rigs devised for their boats.  I’m sure most of them would work on a Bellhaven.    I’m thinking especially of the reefing setups.  Have you looked into the archives of some of those builds?    I have a Bay River skiff without reefing.  I would like to suggest that you add a tiller brake.  I installed one on mine.  Found the design in a book written by Roger Barnes.

4B0978AE-87FA-4F1F-883D-2B7056069611.jpeg

592DBB02-23C4-40A8-BAD0-4C1843B699F5.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Bob,

I finally got out for a sail a got a few photos.  There is an important detail regarding where the mizzen sheet lands on the tiller.  It needs to be located vertically inline with the rudder pins (not on the rudder head) or it will pull the rudder in the direction of the mizzen sail.   Moving the mizzen sheet block does result in uplift of the rudder which I solved with a tiller downhaul.   This arrangement has worked well on my boar for several years  and I'd recommend it for your Texas 200 trip. 

Thrillsbe is spot on regarding the reefing - same as the CS series except you need standing blocks to get over the cabin top. 

tiller downhaul.jpg

mizen sheet.jpg