Spindrift 11' build videos

Captain Tim

• Captain Tim changed the title to Spindrift 11' build videos

I started doing your four-line-haul-up-to-the-garage-ceiling approach to store my new rooftop trunk, to get it out of the way. Nicely done. 

I ended up making a “shelf” that lowered on one end only... good ‘nuff for what I was trying to do. 
BCA2D3C2-455B-4CD5-8739-F5DED6A464AA.thumb.jpeg.00e8f96e44b1305dd9a5133506e5f228.jpeg

And, wow, thanks for making a video series on your build. I’m sure many will appreciate seeing how you do things. I really needed to watch Alan’s CS15 videos to gain enough confidence and understanding to decide taking on last year’s boat-build, a CS15 kit from B&B.  I’m now mentoring a ninth grade girl across the street as she builds her Spindrift 10 kit. Your videos look “familiar”.

Regarding use of garage space, I so appreciated my wife’s willingness last year to let her car be parked outside for a few months while I built our Core Sound 15 (Norma T).  I decided this year to build a second boat, a long-wanted ski-boat and I humbly asked her to again park outside for a while. She agreed... much appreciated... it’s also “motivating” me to get it done. ?  I started my current build (Joe) in February and I hope to flip it as soon I put a few coats of “Fire Red” paint over the primer:
E4572FC6-F6C2-4269-B60C-553130C036EF.thumb.jpeg.9083f38bf23d776c46cda36de3e7da8a.jpeg

Hi Captain Tim,

I am enjoying your build but two alarm bells rang in me. The first one was when you said "the position of the temporary frame is vague". The position is precise, I looked on the S11 standard plan sheets, lo and behold you were right, they are missing. The gremlins took them. I reinserted them so here is the measurement on the side from the third station forward of the transom along the sheer which you should have on one of your sides, is 2 3/16" or 56 3/16" forward of the transom with the tape pulled around the sheer line. This measurement is to the aft side of your temp frame. I won't give you the other measurements because they will be hard to measure with precision now that the boat is folded. When the temp frame is in position on the sheer marks, use a level and make it plumb. The boat will be level when it is sitting on the level cradle and the boat is in it's correct fore and aft location. I apologize for the missing dimensions.

The other alarm bell was when you said that you will trim the forward bulkhead. You may remove 1/8" bevel on the forward side of the bulkhead but it is not necessary. You need to force the sheer out until the bulkhead will fit in place. If you trim the bulkhead to the newly folded hull you will reshape the forward part of the boat, the first obvious thing will be a weak looking bow and a hogged sheer line forward. 

The lines of the boat and dimensions are very accurate and if the parts are cut precisely every part will fit. None of us are that good and there is a lot of marking and cutting which means there will need to be some trimming but how do I know when to trim? First, if you are diligent you should not be off by more than 1/8" or so. If your part is under sized the epoxy will fill it but say there is a gap at the keel line under the temp frame. This is where hull massaging comes in. If the temp is in its correct position then you need to try forcing the keel up to meet the temp. Try a prop from the floor up to the keel line, this should fix the problem. Lets say the bottom and sides fit the temp pretty well but you notice that the temp forces the sides away from the bottom on each side. this means that the temp needs trimming. The same rule will apply to the transom.

What we are looking for is a nice fair sweet hull. Make sure that the keel and chine seems are together and look fair and spend a fair amount of time just admiring the boat as you look over every part to see if there are any tweaks that you can do to make her even sweeter. You will just have to live with anything you missed forever.

Keep up the good work. 

Graham,

Let me start by saying you have been more helpful than I could have hoped for.

Alan has also been great. I would tell anyone thinking of building one of your boats to just go for it.

The videos were made on Saturday after a week of somewhat warm weather for New Hampshire in winter. I had glued the scarfs and joined the bows with epoxy during the week and just could not wait to "open her up". I may have been rambling on in the videos but I hope no one gets the idea I was unhappy with the boat.

The lines on her are sweet. I'm having a great time building her.

Padre Point,

Sure would like to see more pictures from your build and the 9th grader too.

I was hoping she would have videoed the opening so I could have watched before I did mine.

I'm guessing the cold slows you down just like here.

Captain Tim, here are links to our builds:

(I assume you know of Alan’s series of 20 videos on building a Core Sound 15... if not, let be known and someone will provide the links.  They are REALLY helpful.)

Norma T / CS15: 

Spindrift 10:

My 2021 build (15’ ski boat):

The blog continues at:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...