Questions re choosing a fabric for Curlew

Douglas Jacobs

Just finishing lashing my Curlew frame together and wanting to order fabric.  What is the latest on the issues with the 9 oz. fabric relaxing after using Rustoleum paint?  It seems there is only 10 ft. of the 6 oz. fabric available on Kudzucraft's store so that doesn't look like an option for now.  Also, if anyone has used Spirit Line's 840 polyester or their 840 XTRA TUFF ballistic nylon, what have been the results?  Thanks.  

On 2/19/2021 at 6:37 PM, jacobs said:

Just finishing lashing my Curlew frame together and wanting to order fabric.  What is the latest on the issues with the 9 oz. fabric relaxing after using Rustoleum paint?  It seems there is only 10 ft. of the 6 oz. fabric available on Kudzucraft's store so that doesn't look like an option for now.  Also, if anyone has used Spirit Line's 840 polyester or their 840 XTRA TUFF ballistic nylon, what have been the results?  Thanks.  

I just finished my Siskiwitbay SOF and used the 9oz uncoated polyester cloth I ordered from Kudzu. After making a test piece which I painted with 2 component polyurethane paint i decided to do the kayak with those paint. There were no issues in the test.

After the first layer there were no problems. But during the second layer the cloth did relax. It expanded in the longitudinal direction. I hoped that it would shrink again when dry but no.

The third layer made it worse. Between second and third layer I tried to heatshrink with the iron and that worked. When it was hot the wrinkels were gone but at cooling down they came again.
Before painting the kayak was drum tight.

I have the idee that the solvent is the problem but Jeff had no issues with his paint where he thinned the first layer.

It is pitty but I will have tot do with it. I chose this paint for its durabiliy. Next time I will use water based paint on 9 oz cloth.

Here are some pictures.

20210222_135050.jpg

20210222_135148.jpg

38SiskiwitbaySkinned.jpg

37 Gladgestreken.jpg