Short Shot Plans Question

Philip

Hello,

I received my Short Shot plans a few weeks ago and I was going over them trying to figure out how many boards I will need to purchase to rip down to the correct size for all the stringers. When I was reviewing the list and trying to locate them on the plans I noticed that the list has several sizes listed as 5/8x5/8 but when you measure them on the plans they are 3/4x5/8.

Is there a reason for the discrepancy? In truth it makes it easier because I don't have to plane anything but instead just cut 5/8 wide strips from a 3/4 thick board. The only resizing I will have to do will be with the gunwales and that will be just a pass through the table saw to resize them to 5/8.

I must have received some outdated plans and book because the Short Shot plans I received and the book I received say different. 1st and 3rd chines say 5/8x5/8 from the full size plans. And the bottom picture is from the assembly book and it says "The rest of the stringers are 5/8x5/8." These are plans I purchased from the Kudzu Craft store website.

IMG_20210219_181314_124.thumb.jpg.3d61f30076a44022d4e8f0f3692a1649.jpg

IMG_20210219_181456_049.thumb.jpg.f61d0d1f0a52bdbe1fc918af24731185.jpg

As a practical matter, the characteristics of the species of wood you choose, as well as the characteristics of the particular board you choose, will be at least as important as the difference of 1/8" in the scantlings. Choose boards of the best wood readily available and cut stringers with the straightest grain, fewest knots, and least runout. Don't overthink dimensions.

14 hours ago, Kudzu said:

Manual is wrong. I print a lot of those at one time so it takes a while to get changes updated and printed.

How long ago did you order plans? We started out using the smaller stringers and latter up the size.

You mailed these to me on 2/1/21. Was ordered on 1/30/21.

I'm not worried about the size I was just wondering why it was a different size is all. Feb in Maine leaves a lot of time sitting around studying what you are going to do if it ever warms up. :)