Princess 22

Travis Votaw

Took some of my grandkids by Charlie Jones' shop today to see the Princess he's building for me. They are excited about the boat, and ready to go sailing. Charlie's ready to turn her over to put the keel on and do the fiberglass on outside of the hull. A lot of the more tedious work (i.e. centerboard trunk) has been finished on the inside of the boat. Bunks, decking and cabin completion are in larger panels and will quickly begin to make the boat look more complete. Boat is being built of okoume and I really like the way it looks.

I'm putting together a wrecked trailer that had been stripped - will save quite a bit on it and the rigging on the trailer will be very simple and straight-forward due to the long, straight keel on the Princess. I plan to rest her on a 2x12 down the center of the trailer (keel is around 14'long) and have a bunk board on each side for balance. I'll probably install goal posts at max beam of boat for convenience in loading.

I'll have to order sails pretty soon and decide on mast material - flag poles or wood (birdsmouth). I've been breaking in a new 8 hp Yamaha - pretty powerful little motor which should really drive the hull well.

Charlie is really a super good craftsman as those of you know who have seen his work, and he's doing that kind of job for me. Let's go sailing!!

Travis Votaw

Charlie's pictures look great, Travis. What if he decides to sell the Princess to the highest bidder? :lol:

Seriously, I love that design, and if my wife wasn't set on getting a big plastic boat, I'd be saving up to build one myself. Its not to be, I'm afraid, but we can still dream (if even vicariously through folks like you and Charlie building one!)