Spindrift 11N build in Scotland

Aphers

I promised to report back, so here we are.

In amongst several other very large projects the Spindrift didn't get a look in. It's still missing the rig and foils, keel band, and fendering. I've also not done anything about lifting eyes or locking the thwart in place.

Nevertheless, on the 1st of August I launched the dinghy and took it for a short row. Wow, does it not row beautifully! The forward ends of the aft tanks make reasonable foot braces, and the 7'6" oars I am using are a little "high geared" but she doesn't half shift. I've got no centreboard case cap yet so a fair bit of water splashes up, and also my secondhand self bailers may be leaking. It's either that or the bolts in the bulkhead, but she does take on a fair bit of water.

Anyway, at the end of that very short row I stowed the boat on the foredeck of my yacht, and over the next three weeks sailed from Scotland to Spain. I finally launched the dinghy again a couple of days ago to start using it as my tender.

I've used it under oar power and with a small trolling motor. Will try out the 3.5hp 2T tomorrow for the first time.

I really ought to have finished all the little jobs that are left, but I got impatient. Hopefully I won't cause too much damage in the mean time. There will be plenty of time over the winter to do it.

Glad you made it to Spain with your Spindrift. It's amazing how far and wide these little boats can go. 

I had the same problem with water splashing out of my centerboard case, especially when motoring. I never made a real cap for it- instead I cut a piece of closed cell foam rubber that fits snugly in the top of the case and no longer have that problem.