16th year spruce up

Hirilonde

My Spindrift 9N is 16 years old this year and it is time for some sprucing up.  5 years on an outdoor dinghy rack, 2 seasons in the water at a dinghy dock and  the rest stored indoors and banged around every time it was used. Most of those indoor years were following my daughters family from MA to GA and then to VA as the Air Force moved them around.

I now live across the street from a great place to row.  At first I thought I would use this as an excuse to build another boat, but I would have no where to keep it.  I will not put my Lapwing in outdoor storage.

I will be removing the bronze chafe strip and refinishing from the water line down.  Except for a few scratches, the professionaly LPU painted topsides are still in great shape. I had to cut the figure 8 knot that kept the bow painter in place off.  Years of towing behind my Renegade sinched it up quite well.  I will inspect under the fendering and at some of the fastening points for good measure, but no signes of rot can be seen.  I am considering making removable side seats like a few others have done.  This is the worst of the compromises that were needed to make it nesting. From what I can see so far, these boats last quite well if you follow the instructions.

Starting on the forward section first....................

IMG_7977.JPG

IMG_7978.JPG

IMG_7979.JPG

Graham does not call for glassing of the hull on the Spindrift and other designs, though some do choose to do so. Light weight is one of my top priorities, it is why I build BS 1088 Okoume boats. The only glass is the tape at joints.  I did coat all surfaces with 3 coats of epoxy as specified. I did it as hot re-coat, no sanding in between, just before and after.

9 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

Graham does not call for glassing of the hull on the Spindrift and other designs, though some do choose to do so. Light weight is one of my top priorities, it is why I build BS 1088 Okoume boats. The only glass is the tape at joints.  I did coat all surfaces with 3 coats of epoxy as specified. I did it as hot re-coat, no sanding in between, just before and after.

The proof is in the pudding, as your boat held up very well. Weight is an issue for me too, so we will be going that route.

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the bronze half round chafe strip, and preped for painting.  I found no signs of rot in the keel nor the outwale under the fendering.IMG_7980.thumb.JPG.a2482874d6bd254135a22d2c35d82ce8.JPG

My storage space.  As much as I wish I had a regualar Spindrift, storing is definitely a plus for the nesting version.IMG_7981.thumb.JPG.0237bec6756e37e56a69b5c37c0ef62e.JPG

I made a new set of oars out of Western Red Cedar.  It was not my first choice, but I owned a 2x8x10 piece, so it got used.  The loom isn't quite are large as I would have liked, 1 3/4", and settled for 1 1/2".  Leathers and buttons to do

.IMG_7983.thumb.JPG.25185f1307befe0a06cfddcb4a0f6dd2.JPG

Removable side seats for sailing. Side tanks/seats are one of the best features of the non-nesting version.IMG_7982.thumb.JPG.3c3e304861571a79afed8e98dadc6a4e.JPGIMG_7986.thumb.JPG.cb8c81c3632fdb6f502e7793f58fe495.JPG

Painting the bottom.  The inside bottom is grey now too.IMG_7988.thumb.JPG.e620718af6eb045a9e0a753499f70705.JPGIMG_7991.thumb.JPG.a5d9331254f22cd8fa5c04bf20388bdf.JPG

Getting close to going rowing.

• 1 month later...

Well, I now have a new excercise regime. I row a half hour 4-5 mornings each week. I calculate that I cover just about a mile. I made the oars using the same formula I used for my Lapwing oars from "The Long Oars of Pete Culler"  I think my Lapwing oars are almost a foot too long and I think my Spindrift oars are a few inches too short. WRC oars sure are light weight though.

• Thanks 1

Nice refurb. I, too, row for fitness.  I’m starting to think that I should replace my Two Paw 8 with a Spindrift 9N.  We are camping for two months each summer, and that’s when I use the TP8.  A 9N would row a whole lot better, don’t you think?  It would all be in the interest of keeping fit, right?

• Like 2

Oh, the recreation and fitness centers are open out here, but like you (and Don) I would rather be out doors. Thanks for the 16th year field report. Good to know these boats will be around for a long time, when built correctly. 

Several years ago, I built an Annapolis Wherry, which I love and which is my (sometime, but not often enough) exercise machine.  You guys are awesome. 

• Like 1