Spindrift 10 Build (by a 9th Grade Girl)

PadrePoint

On 5/19/2021 at 1:49 PM, TheWeezer said:

But it is all loaded up in the trailer to take to get painted. We will be talking it on Friday to the paint shop  as well. 6457AC0F-0FB6-4425-9504-260A9C5F4002.thumb.jpeg.efd58936b86a5e403387767e6aab6771.jpeg

My dad was excised to get his spot in the garage back!  

What?   Sacrilege    !   You're sending it out to get painted?   
How are you ever going to learn to hate life if you never fair, sand, prime, sand,  and paint a boat?

Or it could just be that someone in your house is alot smarter than some of us.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still Waiting for Pink Paint

The Wheezer, and her dad, have been trying to get an auto painter to paint the Spindrift 10.  Some arrangements fell through; others haven’t returned the calls. As I understand, she has finally locked in a painter… fairly soon, perhaps.  She has been busy all summer (including a two-week YMCA kayak cruise in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, which included some sailing time) and is now back in school. 

Meanwhile, I volunteered to install the hardware on her mast and boom. And, to hold the three mast sections, sail, and perhaps more, my wife sewed up a pink bag… just for fun. ?

50FC0BD8-C724-4D4C-A0F8-6C6ED19BA487.thumb.jpeg.f0c8ab520243c14739a0e0e7d2842912.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Hi salty cracker I had to take a break during my high school swim season so I have not been working much. Point padre just got the paint for my boat in so I hope to start painting it myself next weekend! 
I know you will love building a boat with your kids! It will be a forever memory! My best advice is take time! Don’t rush it. And it’s OKAY to make mistakes I made multiple mistakes and we found away to fix them all! Don’t get frustrated just take your time! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Christmas break, and The Weezer is back from family visits with some time to start the painting process. Yay!

I thought we might as well try out the “roll and tip” approach in the initial primer coat.  

Biggest challenge?  Maybe keeping her hair out of the paint??? ?
1FDAB2A9-3BDE-4CC4-AFBF-B125192B4BE4.thumb.jpeg.58a365587085888f3cd8a9d1a3976d15.jpeg

F1D94422-EDE4-4B99-A939-E350E9BDC720.thumb.jpeg.7bcf20a47a3318e20bccde061d652672.jpeg

• Like 1

Awesome. My least favorite part of building, but part of the journey. 

On a side note, there is no chance that everything you are wearing doesn't get paint on it. My kids (and my) confidence in their abilities to stay clean is way higher than reality. That looks like a nice sweatshirt. Enough dad talk. 

I'm looking forward to the day you are rewarded for all your effort.  

Some Pink Primer

I stopped in today to see how the first coat of primer is turning out.  The Weezer had already sanded things.  

For a second coat of primer we added about six or eight teaspoons of red paint to about 2/3 quart of white primer… making a light pink.  Then, I left to let her do the whole process on the second coat.  The Weezer has been very skilled at seeing a process and duplicating it.  She might even enlist her older sister (home from college) to help out.  (Paint fight in the making???  ?)

The plan is light pink inside, deeper pink (is that a thing? ?) for the outside, white for a bootstripe and the gunwales, and bright for the thwart, deck, dagger board and rudder.  Her white sail is SPECIAL ORDERED from B&B with pink numbers.  Should be a nice looking combination. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 6:33 PM, TheWeezer said:

Hi salty cracker I had to take a break during my high school swim season so I have not been working much. Point padre just got the paint for my boat in so I hope to start painting it myself next weekend! 
I know you will love building a boat with your kids! It will be a forever memory! My best advice is take time! Don’t rush it. And it’s OKAY to make mistakes I made multiple mistakes and we found away to fix them all! Don’t get frustrated just take your time! 

Thanks Weezer for the encouragement. You sound like my older son; He's busy with many interests and hobbies.

• Like 1

After a long but successful high school season, the end of first semester, and getting my drivers license!!! I have finally found time to work on my boat. We put the first layer of white primer about a week ago. Then started mixing red paint and white primer to make pink primer and did the last 2 coats of primer pink! It was super cool to finally see what I have been picturing in my head come together. This morning I got up to start sanding with 220. And we will start working around 9:30 on the next steps. My goal was to get it done by the end of February but now that we are off school for a week I’m hoping end of January to mid February. If no curve balls come my way!B05A95CF-60EC-406C-AC2F-468757D48CE3.thumb.jpeg.9349cf976643c45c3fbbb67fadf82215.jpeg

• Like 1