Spindrift 10 Build (by a 9th Grade Girl)

PadrePoint

When I built my Core Sound 15 this summer, a neighbor girl made clear her love of sailing (previous summer camp experiences.)  In September, I invited her and her family to join my wife and me in the third sailing of my just completed CS15. 
2EB10CD9-3232-46A8-9183-60C511F3E3CF.thumb.jpeg.6c2dbe6bd8dc2eeae4a5c4ff6c50d4df.jpeg

When I later asked whether she might be interested in building her own sailboat this year, after much thought she and her parents settled on ordering a full Spindrift 10 kit.  The order was received today by B&B Yachts.  

The 9th grade girl goes by the nickname: The Weezer.  That’s the name she’ll use in her forum contributions.  We’ll collaborate on writing this build-blog.

A quick foreshadowing: The Weezer in her finished Spindrift 10… yes… very cute 😁):

FEF2D0DE-0A33-423D-8AF8-C1DE08FBE1D6.thumb.jpeg.15112a12148a83d91a6e910cd7416aa9.jpeg

I am offering to be a mentor in her project, teaching about the building processes and safe usage of tools, and providing ongoing support throughout the build.

Note—I’ll also be busy this winter with my second boat-build this first year of my retirement. It will be a 15 foot ski boat. Today’s Spindrift 10 Kit order with B&B includes a second order, ALL of the wood and epoxy I’ll need for my own build. When everything is ready, I will take a third 2,400 mile trip this year to Bayboro, NC to pick up the two orders.  My ski boat build-blog is located in the Main Forum section of this website... click below for the introduction to the ski-boat

The ski-boat build continues in the Main Forum here.

I’ll ask The Weezer to introduce herself a bit as soon as I show her how to add comments to this forum.  She already seems to be a very busy kid, but she has confidence and excitement about taking on this project. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to make my boat have a lot of meaning besides the fact that I built it, I have been thinking hard about what I want to do with my boat and I have finally have decided on a name for my boat I have been going back and forth between too names The Weezer and The Ritalou. Both of the names have a lot of meaning to me Weezer being a child hood nickname from my grandpa and Ritalou being my middle name and also my late grandmas first name and middle name put together. I decided to go with The Ritalou and might costume a sail with Weezer on it. For my paint colors I am deciding to go with pink with a white stripe down the middle, I would like to think I’m a bright person so that is why I went with those colors. I was planning on putting the words be brave on the white stripe it is a small quote that means a lot to me! I would also like to show that it is a wood boat so I want to just varnish the seats, if anyone has a good suggestion on what I should do for the rest of the inside of the boat I would love that!!! But as of right now those are my plans but knowing me they could change a little bit!!

• Like 1